10U line drive to her face

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2014
I think we are already seeing one of the unintended consequences of the proliferation of fielders masks as there is much less incentive to develop self preserving defensive skills. As fielders masks become more and more part of the game will we see more soft tissue injuries as infielders become more aggressive? Will be interesting to watch.

I haven't been coaching that long but I have yet to hear a coach say...

Here's a mask block it with your face.

This just seems like a new tactic in your anti mask crusade.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Study some other sports with respect to the introduction and enhancement of safety equipment and the resulting changes in how the game is played. Start with the NFL and NHL.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2014

Maybe do a little due diligence and research prior to posting and you will not seem so ignorant and simplistic. Start with the NFL and NHL.

Name calling is proof of a weak position. You are simply Mr. "I support but......"

I am a parent first and foremost, I don't care what they may post on discussfastpitchbaseball.com if it existed, (see I am very familiar with your arguments), other people can screw up their kids all they want. You can convince others to screw up their kids. I'm a better patent than that.

I am the generation that grew up riding on the hump and sleeping in the back window on trips. I have no problem saying the way things are is no reason to not do better.

You are the "way things are" thankfully many people here want to do better.

Both my older daughters wear masks, the youngest will as well when she gets out of tee ball.

You can go back to your juvenile name calling now. Your opinions have been judged and found lacking.

Feb 18, 2014
I actually revised my post as you were responding. I think you need to think a little deeper.

Great answer using the NFL, they have thoroughly thought out safety like you have. What is the chance that their actions have lead to decades of preventable injuries. After all real men lead with their head.

Concussions are for those that aren't tough enough to play. Right????

Thanks but my kids prefer their eggs scrambled not their brains.

Oct 25, 2009
Sounds as if some believe that the mask will remove all fear of the ball. I can't imagine any pitcher, or fielder for that matter, who is going to just stand there and take a ball to the mask.

If anything, the mask might give them a touch more confidence. Protecting players as they develop their skills is one of the main reasons I promote a mask.

People need to get over the anti-mask attitude. It's nothing more or less than a batting helmet cage, or a glove, or an elbow pad, or an ankle guard, or catcher's mask, or umpire's mask, etc. Ranks right up there with a safety cup, which girls don't need because their brains are in their heads.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Great answer using the NFL, they have thoroughly thought out safety like you have. What is the chance that their actions have lead to decades of preventable injuries. After all real men lead with their head.

Concussions are for those that aren't tough enough to play. Right????

Thanks but my kids prefer their eggs scrambled not their brains.

Now we are making progress. Do you feel that the increased effectiveness of safety equipment has played any role in the game become much more violent? With the unintended consequence of an increase of concussions or TBI's? Or is it possible that the incidence of injury has remain constant and only through advanced medical screenings have these injuries been discovered?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Sounds as if some believe that the mask will remove all fear of the ball. I can't imagine any pitcher, or fielder for that matter, who is going to just stand there and take a ball to the mask...

I do not think anyone is suggesting that. However, I do not think that you can dispute that the fear will be reduced. Given a reduction in the fear of significant injury is it irrational to think that infielders will over time start playing more aggressively?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...I am a parent first and foremost, I don't care what they may post on discussfastpitchbaseball.com if it existed, (see I am very familiar with your arguments), other people can screw up their kids all they want. ...I'm a better patent [sic] than that.

So you are familiar with my posts and arguments, so answer the question; Why the lack of passion for facemasks in baseball? Why is this a female/softball issue only? The premise that softball is faster than baseball has been sufficiently debunked, in fact medical studies show a higher incidence of injuries in baseball. So why no push for masks from the baseball side of the planet?

Oct 25, 2009
I do not think anyone is suggesting that. However, I do not think that you can dispute that the fear will be reduced. Given a reduction in the fear of significant injury is it irrational to think that infielders will over time start playing more aggressively?

There are many aggressive fielders now. They can benefit from the extra protection. Whether they get more aggressive or not I don't believe will contribute to significantly more injuries. Definitely not a pitcher. I see quite a few 3rd basemen moving in too close to the batter, without a mask. If it makes them more aggressive that's fine with me. Bruises, broken bones heal.

TBI don't necessarily fully heal. Injuries that affect breathing and facial injuries could be and should be limited with the right protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523