10U line drive to her face

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2009
So you are familiar with my posts and arguments, so answer the question; Why the lack of passion for facemasks in baseball? Why is this a female/softball issue only? The premise that softball is faster than baseball has been sufficiently debunked, in fact medical studies show a higher incidence of injuries in baseball. So why no push for masks from the baseball side of the planet?

Probably the same reasoning that keeps most parents from wanting their sons to be pretty and their daughters to be handsome.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There are many aggressive fielders now. They can benefit from the extra protection. Whether they get more aggressive or not I don't believe will contribute to significantly more injuries. Definitely not a pitcher. I see quite a few 3rd basemen moving in too close to the batter, without a mask. If it makes them more aggressive that's fine with me. Bruises, broken bones heal.

TBI don't necessarily fully heal. Injuries that affect breathing and facial injuries could be and should be limited with the right protection.

Agree with you 100% Any soft tissue injury would be preferred over those typically prevented with a facemask.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
To add a bit more detail to the story for those of you say she needs to learn to defend herself.
The batter was my player who is a 10u, 11year old that looks 13 and plays like she's 15. She can easily get it to the fence. The hit was a solid, sweet spot full finish drive. It was bouncing off her face in a nano second! From about 30' away! I dont care how defensively awesome you are. Any of us would have gotten drilled by that hit last night. Same girl that batted that ball last night, hit one tonight that bounced off the fence in cf (225') in the park hr.

Feb 18, 2014
...I am a parent first and foremost, I don't care what they may post on discussfastpitchbaseball.com if it existed, (see I am very familiar with your arguments), other people can screw up their kids all they want. ...I'm a better patent [sic] than that.

So you are familiar with my posts and arguments, so answer the question; Why the lack of passion for facemasks in baseball? Why is this a female/softball issue only? The premise that softball is faster than baseball has been sufficiently debunked, in fact medical studies show a higher incidence of injuries in baseball. So why no push for masks from the baseball side of the planet?

That is exactly my point.
"BUT" is a contradiction that goes against what you said.

You are for facemask......
BUT.....
Why is it only softball....
BUT.....
Why don't baseball forums discuss it
BUT....
It's a female thing
BUT.....
Amy is am oddity, only she gets hit
BUT......
What about the NFL
BUT......
What about the NHL
BUT....
Are the masks truly effective
BUT......
What about teaching defensive tactics
BUT........
What about them turning their heads
BUT.........
What about protection for their temple
BUT.......
BUT....
BUT....

Next you are going to tell us you are a republican
BUT......
You vote democrat.

That is a throw in to make my point. You work hard to undermine people that want to do best for their daughters. You do not support people trying to put their kids in masks.

And for someone that goes all Molon Labe at the idea of someone stepping in to make it mandatory you sure are willing to mindless follow the "smarter" baseball crowd that are riding the proverbial facemask hump. (Think back to the automobile point.

My daughter's are too beautiful to take a softball to the face. Who knows maybe you are a dentist or do facial reconstructions. Who knows why you are stuck on your "buts".

I'm sure you are a good guy
BUT......
In my opinion you should stop trying to undermine those that want best for their DDs.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
To add a bit more detail to the story for those of you say she needs to learn to defend herself.
The batter was my player who is a 10u, 11year old that looks 13 and plays like she's 15. She can easily get it to the fence. The hit was a solid, sweet spot full finish drive. It was bouncing off her face in a nano second! From about 30' away! I dont care how defensively awesome you are. Any of us would have gotten drilled by that hit last night. Same girl that batted that ball last night, hit one tonight that bounced off the fence in cf (225') in the park hr.

Nobody is even talking about that hit James...more in general terms of defense. I dont think all of us would have gotten drilled...but girls that young havent developed the reaction defense yet for the most part and dont work on defense as they should to curb the hits that they "should" be able to protect against from.
I am pro masks btw

I mean come on...I have seen college girls on the mound that dont even have the auto reaction to turn their gloves the right way when they try to catch a ball back to them.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

BUT.....
BUT.....
BUT....
It's a female thing
BUT.....
BUT......
What about the NFL
BUT......
What about the NHL
BUT....
BUT......
BUT........
BUT.........
BUT.......
BUT....
BUT....

BUT......
You vote democrat.

That is a throw in to make my point. You work hard to undermine people that want to do best for their daughters. You do not support people trying to put their kids in masks.

And for someone that goes all Molon Labe at the idea of someone stepping in to make it mandatory you sure are willing to mindless follow the "smarter" baseball crowd that are riding the proverbial facemask hump. (Think back to the automobile point.

My daughter's are too beautiful to take a softball to the face. Who knows maybe you are a dentist or do facial reconstructions. Who knows why you are stuck on your "buts".

BUT......
In my opinion you should stop trying to undermine those that want best for their DDs.

Good rant, but you never did answer the question.

Feb 18, 2014

BUT.....
BUT.....
BUT....
It's a female thing
BUT.....
BUT......
What about the NFL
BUT......
What about the NHL
BUT....
BUT......
BUT........
BUT.........
BUT.......
BUT....
BUT....

BUT......
You vote democrat.

BUT......

Good rant, but you never did answer the question.

Easy answer. I'm my opinion the parenting philosophy of being the "lowest common denominator" is to put it nicely not the right way to raise children. "Everyone is doing it" or in your case "no one in baseball us doing it" is a philosophy I will avoid. It's hard enough being a parent and a coach without dealing with the unnecessary.

Like I said, my daughters like their eggs scrambled, not their brains.

For kicks and giggles I googled "softball teeth"..... perty.

Everyone in my car wears a seatbelt, no one rides the hump.

You can go back to undermining now.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Riseball, I appreciate your posts on perceived vs. actual risk. In 4 years, I've only seen a girl hit in the face once, and ironically, the facemask on her batting helmet didn't prevent it. On the other hand, my own son has been hit in the face three times playing baseball.

Bottom line, some people aren't comfortable with a 1/x chance that their kid gets hurt, and purchases of safety equipment that may never be needed dump a lot of money back into the economy.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Easy answer. I'm my opinion the parenting philosophy of being the "lowest common denominator" is to put it nicely not the right way to raise children. "Everyone is doing it" or in your case "no one in baseball us doing it" is a philosophy I will avoid. It's hard enough being a parent and a coach without dealing with the unnecessary.

Like I said, my daughters like their eggs scrambled, not their brains.

For kicks and giggles I googled "softball teeth"..... perty.

Everyone in my car wears a seatbelt, no one rides the hump.

You can go back to undermining now.

Still no real answer. Other than baseball parents are bad parents? I find the fanatical nature of some regarding this issue truly fascinating.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Riseball, I appreciate your posts on perceived vs. actual risk. In 4 years, I've only seen a girl hit in the face once, and ironically, the facemask on her batting helmet didn't prevent it. On the other hand, my own son has been hit in the face three times playing baseball.

Bottom line, some people aren't comfortable with a 1/x chance that their kid gets hurt, and purchases of safety equipment that may never be needed dump a lot of money back into the economy.

Personally I think it is brilliant piece of marketing by the manufacturers. They have obviously struck a nerve with the parents of female athletes to the point where people have become fanatical about the subject. Based on the comments of many on this site if you do not force your DD to wear a mask and encourage all others to do the same you are a bad parent and a Neanderthal that wants to see kids suffer everything from a black eye to decapitation.

Interestingly that same marketing strategy has failed miserably with the parents of male athletes. It is only natural to wonder why? I have to think that if it was promoted as a device that facilitated a higher level of performance, acceptance by the baseball side would increase.

The strategy of promoting a device that very well may prevent a serious injury has been extremely effective with the end consumer - the parents. Unfortunately, that message appears lost on the actual users of the devices. Consider that all of the college players in the game today grew up using required facemasks on their batting helmets. Then as soon as these players get to college many if not most summarily abandon the equipment. Are we to assume that they no longer see value in the equipment? Is it a hindrance to their performance? If college players are willing to abandon facemasks on their batting helmets why would we be surprised that very few players are willing to use a fielding mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1