10U Fall Ball – Rec league Rant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In our rec fall ball the girls played on the level they will be in the spring. Seemed to have worked well.

That makes sense to me and I thought it was the way it was. Apparently I was one of the only ignorant parents that did not know what was going on.

Why would you play “noncompetitive” fall ball in 1 age group then move up to another age group in the “competitive” spring season?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I do not think I said or implied this and if I did I apologize. My DD is not the best player on our Team let alone the League. With that said I agree with the statement.

"My DD has been recruited by a few travelling teams and would be a top player on any of their teams but she would not be able to pitch."

I was referring to your above statement, if she is recruited by some travelling teams and would be a top player, I would assume that she would dominate in most rec leagues (at least that is my experience). In most rec leagues there are very few really good coaches and she could be "stuck" playing with some girls that have never played the game before, etc. I could see her getting very frustrated especially if her pitching gets a lot better. With that said, as someone mentioned if she can do both rec and TB for a season, that might be an option.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Apologize again.

I am not sure about the coaches but yes, Rec league has its Issues. My DD has a hitch when she throws the ball because she needs to gage how hard she can throw it depending on who she is throwing it too.

Good news is that she is awesome at backing up plays. :)

May 25, 2010
My DD has a hitch when she throws the ball because she needs to gage how hard she can throw it depending on who she is throwing it too.
You don't have to tell her at practice, but when you and she are together, tell her to throw the ball.

It's up to the players on her team to catch it when she makes a good throw, which she'll do more often than when she tries to slow it down. Tell her to trust them to make the play.

The first time a weaker player makes that catch is much like the first time a t-baller gets a hit on coach pitch. Their eyes just light up and a whole new world opens.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know what you are saying but I am not sure I agree. I have not said anything to her either way but she does hold back. To some extent it needs to come from me because I have the same worries she has.

As I was typing this reply I have been thinking, how much can she really hurt someone with a good strong throw? She is savvy enough to flip or toss the ball when appropriate. You are right, she needs to throw the ball and what happens happens.

When we start working on fielding again this will be our 1st priority.

Mar 13, 2010
It's a hard one. My team of subbies (under 12s) is mixed. So we have two 11 year old boys who are throwing to eight year old girls. We're a one club team (first year) so it's not like we can put the boys with other boys of their own ability. As much as I loathe doing it, I do tell them to hold back with the little ones so as not to hurt them. They are made (then again they prefer this, so it's hardly made) to warm up with each other, so they can practice their proper throwing technique.

Feb 24, 2010
You need to say something to her. My DD did the same thing a few years ago in t-ball/manager pitch, and she was getting frustrated because the other players couldn't catch the ball. I told her at a game, so that everyone could hear, that if they can't catch the ball it's not her fault, and that if the other girl gets hurt it's not her fault either - one of two things will happen; either they will learn to catch or they will quit. Another parent didn't like this and got in my face about it. I told him that I play catch with DD at least 4 times per week and her development shouldn't be held back because other players have parents who aren't willing to work with their kids. The message got through, to both DD and the other parents.

May 25, 2010
You need to say something to her. My DD did the same thing a few years ago in t-ball/manager pitch, and she was getting frustrated because the other players couldn't catch the ball. I told her at a game, so that everyone could hear, that if they can't catch the ball it's not her fault, and that if the other girl gets hurt it's not her fault either - one of two things will happen; either they will learn to catch or they will quit. Another parent didn't like this and got in my face about it. I told him that I play catch with DD at least 4 times per week and her development shouldn't be held back because other players have parents who aren't willing to work with their kids. The message got through, to both DD and the other parents.

LOL

I'm not laughing, because confrontations at the ballpark are never funny, but even though you went about it the wrong way, you said what needed to be said.

I'm of the opinion that kids can generally do much more than probably 80-90% of parents feel they're capable of. After the other girl gets hit with the ball a couple of times, she'll learn to keep her glove up and to keep her eyes open. And parents need to not be so sensitive - although it could happen, how many girls are really getting 'hurt' with the 10" RIF ball?

Although less than half do it, the parents are responsible for playing with their kids at home. I don't expect everyone to get the tee and a pop-up net out every afternoon, but how hard is it to go out and play catch for 20 minutes once or twice a week outside of practice time?

Note: The caveat in rec play concerns special needs children. In those cases and in those cases only, you have to make a reasonable exception in the way the game is played for them. That's an equally valuable learning experience for all the other kids - and their parents - and before anyone complains, be mindful of the fact that this player is only going to be at 1st base 2 innings all season.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I tell my girls to play catch at least 5 times a week. But, these are girls that are paying for lessons.

I saw one of my 11YO pitchers, pick up a bunt the other day and start to throw it to a 7 YO, that can't catch. She did a hitch and a toss and the girl caught it. But it wasn't good for my student to have to slow it down.

You don't learn to play the piano by only going to a lesson once a week and I believe that softball is the same way. My student has now moved on to a better team and she is very happy.

Feb 9, 2009
I'm of the mindset, in Rec ball, that the players have to know who they are throwing to...which means they have to know the skill of their fellow teammates. In REC, the skill levels can be VERY different, and there is a REAL possibility that someone could get hurt. So NO, I don't think I girl should blast it in there just because she can.
But I have been known to make parents go and buy facemasks for girls who couldn't catch a cold...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse