10u DD pitching- slow mo vid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I'm no expert (hopefully others will chime in to help you) but I would say concentrate on:

1.) Keeping her pivot foot toes pointed to home plate (power line) at push-off. I see a mini re-plant when the weight re-shifts to that leg right before push off. Her foot angle kicks toward 3b a little.
2.) Try and get her to remain more balanced after her stride foot plants. In this vid, she almost stumbles sideways toward 3b. Don't know if this is consistent with her or not, but if it is, I'd work on her "finishing" in a very stable position vs almost falling over

the good:
1.) her arm circle looks pretty good. elbow kept close nicely, release nice and low, close to rear thigh.
2.) she's in good position with regard to open/closed stance at time of release
3.) weight is back behind stride/plant foot nicely. [Edit: but as member Amy points out below, she delivers the ball a little hunched/bent forward]
4.) glove not "swimming" to any serious degree

With a little concentrated effort, you might consider molding her delivery mechanics to more closely align with this forum's guides on "Internal Rotation". (see "stickeys" at top of threads in this forum) She's actually pretty close already, and may not be that big of an adjustment for her.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
#1 - Do not take the ball up and behind your head. The shoulders are working twice per pitch, that way. For some reason, my own DD added that and promptly ruined her shoulder. Plus, it adds nothing to the pitch.

#2 - Shorten up the leap, until she can get rid of the forward lean. Show her her landing and how tall she rises up "after" the pitch. You want her tall (and back) at release.

All of that said, she is great. But, if she wants to get better, back off a little bit and work on the mechanics. It is hard not to worry about the wins at 10U, but that is what it takes to be successful at 14.

May 31, 2012
South Texas
reply - thanks!

Corlay and Amy:

Thanks for your response! I do notice her stride finishing with hunch and have been working on it. I think it might have to do with her drag foot over extending. I agree with you Amy n Corlay that we have to step back and work on Mechanics.

Jul 14, 2008
I would suggest you read and understand the I/R thread...........She is pushing the ball down the circle instead of pulling it down to optimize the whip..........Her hand turns on top of the ball just past the top and stay on top of the ball into release. Her natural delivery is an I/R move through release, but because the ball is facing forward so early in the downswing, she's missing so much of her potential.

The good part is no one has taught her Hello Elbow finish yet. She has so much more whip available to her that she isn't using.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Clean up that pre-motion (eliminate it) :) Have her put her hands together and just pitch. No going up over the head. After she has cleaned up her motion and gained some experience, then, she can sort of be herself. But, until then, let's make it simple.

She will need to create a resistance with her left leg and left side. It is what we call a "strong front side." You need resistance to create velocity. Her front knee is bent too much, at this time.

All of that said, she is better than most, at this point. I have seen much worse. She appears athletic and seems to be enjoying herself and that is 75% of the journey.

May 31, 2012
South Texas
I would suggest you read and understand the I/R thread...........She is pushing the ball down the circle instead of pulling it down to optimize the whip..........Her hand turns on top of the ball just past the top and stay on top of the ball into release. Her natural delivery is an I/R move through release, but because the ball is facing forward so early in the downswing, she's missing so much of her potential.

The good part is no one has taught her Hello Elbow finish yet. She has so much more whip available to her that she isn't using.

Boardmember,

Thanks for chiming in...optimizing the whip: I will look into her ball positioning during windup and release, but I am a visual learner and I will have to lookup those images to see a comparable. Thanks again for your comments. will work on it.

May 31, 2012
South Texas
Pre-Motion

Clean up that pre-motion (eliminate it) :) Have her put her hands together and just pitch. No going up over the head. After she has cleaned up her motion and gained some experience, then, she can sort of be herself. But, until then, let's make it simple.

She will need to create a resistance with her left leg and left side. It is what we call a "strong front side." You need resistance to create velocity. Her front knee is bent too much, at this time.

All of that said, she is better than most, at this point. I have seen much worse. She appears athletic and seems to be enjoying herself and that is 75% of the journey.

Amy, again thanks for your response and it is appreciated. She has a pre-warm up motion where she doesn't go above the head. When She loads up above the head she then shifts her weight to her bent knee which then she uses to explode forward. I know what you are saying...keep it simple.

She does enjoy her pitching sessions and doesn't mind the sun. She has actually fared better in open weather then when she first started in a gym.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan