10U Coaches: You Have One Job – Player Development

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Last night I was speaking with one of my 10U pitching students during her lesson. I knew from GameChanger (and a text with her mom) that she had pitched two innings the previous weekend, facing six batters and striking them all out. Not a bad performance overall. I asked what pitches she threw. She said […]

More...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Last night I was speaking with one of my 10U pitching students during her lesson. I knew from GameChanger (and a text with her mom) that she had pitched two innings the previous weekend, facing six batters and striking them all out. Not a bad performance overall. I asked what pitches she threw. She said […]

More...
That was a nice read. I've mentioned this before but Ken's approach was the same approach the coach used who coached my dd when she was this age. My dd could blow the ball past hitters. Instead, he wanted that change developed. Most often, at that time, she bounced it or aimed it. Later on, that approach paid off. It was the same for positions. All players played multiple positions. My dd pitched, played SS and CF. Most often, in the same game. The amazing thing is, at the end of their first year of 10U, they won a huge tournament. We have 4 pitchers ready for the tournament and the coach could mix a lineup out there that was pretty seasoned for 10U. Again, Ken, nice article.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yes, Yes, Yes! Preach. When I was coaching DD2 in 10U rec, I worked with every player teaching them how to bunt. I wanted every player to lay a bunt down during a game. The parents did not like it at all. I had to explain to them that this is part of the game and they will need to learn this skill. Guess what! The other league's coaches are doing and they will also need to learn to defend it. Some kids who can't swing the bat as effectively, bunting will give them confidence and has a higher chance of actually getting a hit.

Last weekend I went to my nephews kid pitch baseball game and not one batter attempted a bunt. Meanwhile the 3rd baseman is playing behind the base.

Oct 14, 2019
It’s ok to teach the bunt. Definitely not OK to have everybody in the lineup bunt in an effort to win.

Jun 8, 2016
I umped about 60 baseball games last year, 9u through 15u...probably saw 3 bunts.
You obviously didn’t ump my DS's 7U baseball game two weekends ago. 3 or 4 kids bunted for the other team..in Coach pitch. Exactly what a 7/8 YO kid wants to do..bunt.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Whaaaat you mean it’s not necessary to win every pool play game and you should pitch all your pitchers and play all your kids especially when your roster is 11 kids. If I was a coach I’d be embarrassed that some of the kids on my roster have 25 at bats while others have 150 no matter what level my team was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619