10 Year old DD swing help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I see that. Hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like her elbow slots quite a ways away from her side and her front arm is barred. Has she been taught palm up palm down, because it looks like she tries to force that early, plus the lack of tilt Amy mentions. Also, she doesn't get her back elbow ahead of her hands, good thing, but it still looks like she is dragging her bat though the zone. Those are both high pitches, a low pitch may show more.

Redhotcoach is saying your DD isn't getting her elbow in front of her hands. If she did that would be called Bat Drag. Which is bad. Casting is when your arms/hands get away from your shoulders/body while you swing. Your DD should be told/think hands inside ball. Pinch the bicep and forearm. Elbow close to the side of rib cage. Maybe your DD needs to learn/showed how to properly start her swing with her core/hips instead of her arms? Sounds like your DD is trying to start and power her swings with her arms.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Sorry my wording was probably confusing. Back elbow ahead of hands is the main symptom of bat drag, bad. Her back elbow is not ahead of her hands, BUT it still looks like she is pulling the bat through the zone, instead of throwing the bat through the zone.

Is the drill she was doing to stop casting the "fence drill"? Measuring off a bat length from a fence or net to her belly button.

I don't like that drill, I think it promotes "knob to the ball" and creates pulling or dragging the bat through the zone.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This was posted by powertoallfields (giving him the credit) Suggestion made to me for my DD sounds like it may help your DD.

Stand on your back foot/leg, turn everything above that leg back around as far as you can. What you feel in your rear hip joint is coil.
You and your Daughter can learn to feel the stretch required to swing with your hips. All you need to do, is have her coil as I've described, then set her front foot on the ground and hold herself in that position, then sit slightly (like she was going to sit her back butt cheek on a stool), the coil will get tighter. Then, have her put her hands at her rear shoulder like she does in her stance while holding the bat. Take your hands and hold her hands so they won't move. Have her relax her arms and upper body. Then, have her lift her front foot, just enough to allow her to move her body forward, using her back leg, as she tries to turn her belly button toward an imaginary Pitcher. You can do the same thing yourself by holding onto a door frame instead of having someone hold your hands.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This was posted by powertoallfields (giving him the credit) Suggestion made to me for my DD sounds like it may help your DD.

Stand on your back foot/leg, turn everything above that leg back around as far as you can. What you feel in your rear hip joint is coil.
You and your Daughter can learn to feel the stretch required to swing with your hips. All you need to do, is have her coil as I've described, then set her front foot on the ground and hold herself in that position, then sit slightly (like she was going to sit her back butt cheek on a stool), the coil will get tighter. Then, have her put her hands at her rear shoulder like she does in her stance while holding the bat. Take your hands and hold her hands so they won't move. Have her relax her arms and upper body. Then, have her lift her front foot, just enough to allow her to move her body forward, using her back leg, as she tries to turn her belly button toward an imaginary Pitcher. You can do the same thing yourself by holding onto a door frame instead of having someone hold your hands.

Coil ....

2u9sg9j.gif

Apr 15, 2012
I think she has a great looking swing. Way above average for her age. I'll bet she hits very well. My only issue is that, she is swinging at balls out of the zone. She plays at a very competitive level and those are balls she is swinging at. I'll bet her swing looks a lot better at balls that are in the zone!! JMO

I think she has a great looking swing. Way above average for her age. I'll bet she hits very well. My only issue is that, she is swinging at balls out of the zone. She plays at a very competitive level and those are balls she is swinging at. I'll bet her swing looks a lot better at balls that are in the zone!! JMO

She is much pickier in games. Sometimes too picky. However in batting practice she will take cuts at a more open strike zone.

H

homer

What kind of problems is she having? Has her batting average dropped or is she hitting less home runs? From what I can see, her swing looks pretty good. Her hips seem to be a little ahead of her upper body. I might have her lower the right elbow down into firing position to start with.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What kind of problems is she having? Has her batting average dropped or is she hitting less home runs? From what I can see, her swing looks pretty good. Her hips seem to be a little ahead of her upper body. I might have her lower the right elbow down into firing position to start with.

You want the hips to lead in a good swing. Hips first then the hands. The more seperation of hips and hands the better the swing.

Sorry my wording was probably confusing. Back elbow ahead of hands is the main symptom of bat drag, bad. Her back elbow is not ahead of her hands, BUT it still looks like she is pulling the bat through the zone, instead of throwing the bat through the zone.

Is the drill she was doing to stop casting the "fence drill"? Measuring off a bat length from a fence or net to her belly button.

I don't like that drill, I think it promotes "knob to the ball" and creates pulling or dragging the bat through the zone.

She use to do that drill when she was younger. Her first batting coach use to do that until we started to notice what she was teaching wasn't "correct" and was doing more harm than good.

What drill would you do to "re-learn" the muscle memory of not casting?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA