10 Year old DD swing help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

10 year old DD is having some trouble with her swing this year. I am trying to pinpoint on what to work on first. I have my ideas but I want to see what you guys think. She plays top level ball in Texas. Her team took 4th in USFA state and 2nd in ASA A state last year as all 9 year olds in the 10U division. This year they should be the big team on top :)

I posted a warm up swing (in slow motion 25% speed) and two hits (both in full speed and then in slow motion)

Thanks for all your help.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It looks like someone tells her to get a "nice level swing." I am seeing little to no tilt. Her shoulders remain almost level. Is she seeing a hitting coach? If so, what is he or she teaching?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Especially on hit 2 she get down into that back leg like she is going to just explode off of it, but never really does. She ends up taking a little stride that looks from this angle like it is open.

May 11, 2012
My eyes arent as seasoned as some by any means but IMO she is locking out her arm REALLY early and her hands are kinda far away from her body, which likely means she is casting/sweeping out. Of course that means a slower swing. I think aiming to be more compact would help her out in a big way. If her arm is that locked out that soon I dont see how her swing could be compact or fast.

even in her first practicre swing, her arm is bent but waaaaay far away from her body.

Curious to hear what some of the "pros" say.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My eyes arent as seasoned as some by any means but IMO she is locking out her arm REALLY early and her hands are kinda far away from her body, which likely means she is casting/sweeping out. Of course that means a slower swing. I think aiming to be more compact would help her out in a big way. If her arm is that locked out that soon I dont see how her swing could be compact or fast.

even in her first practicre swing, her arm is bent but waaaaay far away from her body.

Curious to hear what some of the "pros" say.

I see that. Hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like her elbow slots quite a ways away from her side and her front arm is barred. Has she been taught palm up palm down, because it looks like she tries to force that early, plus the lack of tilt Amy mentions. Also, she doesn't get her back elbow ahead of her hands, good thing, but it still looks like she is dragging her bat though the zone. Those are both high pitches, a low pitch may show more.

I see that. Hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like her elbow slots quite a ways away from her side and her front arm is barred. Has she been taught palm up palm down, because it looks like she tries to force that early, plus the lack of tilt Amy mentions. Also, she doesn't get her back elbow ahead of her hands, good thing, but it still looks like she is dragging her bat though the zone. Those are both high pitches, a low pitch may show more.

She has been taught palm up / palm down from a batting coach when she was 7 region. We stopped going to that coach because she had her remove all negative movement. No coil at all.

I had her watch the video after we hit. She could see that her front arm was "locking" very very soon.

I am confused on the back elbow ahead of her hands comment. I am sorry but it might just be my lack of understanding. If her back elbow is ahead of her hands isn't that "Casting". She has been drilled to keep her hands compact but for some reason this season she has started to cast. When we get on the Tee or soft toss she has them compact. Yet when we go to front toss/live hitting she starts casting.

Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA