Loading

Talk to Other Fastpitch Softball Fanatics ... for FREE!

Register today and get the uncensored, and yes, the sometimes uncomfortable truth from real softball fanatics who live and die on the softball fields.
Signup to Discuss FastPitch Forum
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Loss of velocity

  1. #1
    I can talk softball all day Legendsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    218
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 168 Times in 57 Posts

    Default Loss of velocity

    My DD had a loss of velocity from last summer to now. I don't regularly clock her so her speed is from her tryouts last fall to now. She had a rough spring and summer with being ineligible to play school ball and then losing a lot of pitching time this summer with emergency gallbladder surgery. She has made a new travel team where a lot of focus for fall will be on conditioning and practice. What are some good speed drills that will help her with her velocity? With her pitching instructor she focuses on mechanics and movement pitches but not so much speed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    JAD
    JAD is offline
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball JAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    7,819
    Thanks
    4,482
    Thanked 6,454 Times in 2,924 Posts

    Default

    Try adding long toss to her bucket time to help increase her leg drive. Move two steps back every couple of throws until she cannot make the throw without bouncing it, then work her was back in with some warm down throws. A younger player should be able to throw from @ 2B, an older player should be able to make throws from CF.

    Note: throws can have some arc and do not need to be lasers.
    Last edited by JAD; 08-12-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" ~Bruce Lee

  3. #3
    I can talk softball all day BT3100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    499
    Thanks
    474
    Thanked 456 Times in 176 Posts

    Default

    No one here likes it so I will get flamed but.. Heavy ball training will increase velocity. Under load, overload... use 8oz and 5.5 oz. No heavier.
    Google it.. Worth makes those weights and the balls come with instructions. DO NOT use balls heavier than 8oz.
    This should only be done if mechanics are good.
    DD is almost half way through a 14 week program and has picked up 2-3 MPH.. from 55 to 57-58.
    "The charm of softball is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope

  4. #4
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball riseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    6,374
    Thanks
    5,054
    Thanked 8,321 Times in 3,217 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BT3100 View Post
    No one here likes it so I will get flamed but.. Heavy ball training will increase velocity. Under load, overload... use 8oz and 5.5 oz. No heavier.
    Google it.. Worth makes those weights and the balls come with instructions. DO NOT use balls heavier than 8oz.
    This should only be done if mechanics are good.
    DD is almost half way through a 14 week program and has picked up 2-3 MPH.. from 55 to 57-58.
    Have heavy balls up to 16oz in the pitching bag.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to riseball For This Useful Post:

    BT3100 (08-13-2017)

  6. #5
    I can talk softball all day catmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    Heavy balls? I thought that was a big no no. Can you tell me more?

  7. #6
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball riseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    6,374
    Thanks
    5,054
    Thanked 8,321 Times in 3,217 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legendsmom View Post
    My DD had a loss of velocity from last summer to now. I don't regularly clock her so her speed is from her tryouts last fall to now. She had a rough spring and summer with being ineligible to play school ball and then losing a lot of pitching time this summer with emergency gallbladder surgery. She has made a new travel team where a lot of focus for fall will be on conditioning and practice. What are some good speed drills that will help her with her velocity? With her pitching instructor she focuses on mechanics and movement pitches but not so much speed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sound like she just needs to get busy and throw. If you are going to get good at this, really good at this you are going to throw more days than you are not. You will be throwing 4 - 5 days a week. Some days a lot, other days not so much. On the few days you are not throwing, you work on other things.

    Like @JAD said, do a bunch of long toss. At 5'-7'" my DD worked in the high 60's and quite a few times hit as high as 71mph. She did long toss every time she went to the field. This is common with pretty much any quality college program.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to riseball For This Useful Post:

    JAD (08-13-2017)

  9. #7
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball riseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    6,374
    Thanks
    5,054
    Thanked 8,321 Times in 3,217 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catmaster View Post
    Heavy balls? I thought that was a big no no. Can you tell me more?
    There are varying degrees of heavy. You typically do not throw a 160z "Cannon Ball" in long toss. It is however useful with respect to spins and finger strength. For under/over load I have a 5.5 and an 8oz. That said, I focus mainly on College and 18U players. I suggest keeping the weights away from the younger kids. With younger kids focus on mechanics, you do not want to build speed via strength until the mechanics are sound.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riseball For This Useful Post:

    catmaster (08-13-2017), EmToTheDee (08-13-2017)

  11. #8
    I can talk softball all day Legendsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    218
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 168 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    Thanks, she used to do weighted balls and long toss with her old pitching instructor but her new pc is indoors and focuses on mechanics and movement. I will do the weighted ball and long toss on our own.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Segment -- Burn -- Conversion --