Wrists? Bat drag? Understanding a high end swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, I learned something. However, I doubt it's the lesson you think it is.

As long as you learned that this here is not correct, then we can say progress was made.

"Bat drag" is a condition where the rear elbow gets significantly ahead of the hands and puts the hitter in a position of dragging the bat along its length.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As long as you learned that this here is not correct, then we can say progress was made.

"Bat drag" is a condition where the rear elbow gets significantly ahead of the hands and puts the hitter in a position of dragging the bat along its length.

Dude...let it go!!!!

In 6 separate posts you in this thread, you have made the point that I was wrong in the phrasing of my simplistic description of "bat drag". As has already been covered, that description has been removed, and direction was provided to a more detailed and accurate description. It's over, yet you insist on making your point again.

If people wonder why I often have an issue with you, it's because of this. Exactly this. Your compulsion to relentlessly pound away after your point has already been made isn't "helpful", it's being a d*ck.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

Can you rephrase this statement correctly instead of saying it is wrong? Bat drag is when the elbow leads the hands, and gets in the way of any adjustments.
No matter what picture you put up, when i teach the kids, i never want the elbow ahead of the hands, even way back yonder.
Wright_061213_highside_slo.gif

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
If people wonder why almost everyone, probably including your own parentsoften have an issue with you, it's because of this. Exactly this. Your compulsion to relentlessly pound away after your point has already been made isn't "helpful", it's being a d*ck.

I'm with FFS on this, your post was stupid, why would you try to answer the OP so directly? If you can't muddy the waters for new folks then you are not doing the tech hitting forum any good. Remember the goal, to make hitting seem like some cross between rocket science and Kabala, as penance I want you to do 20 dorsiflexes and 50 sagittal planes, maybe even a pronation or two for good measure. Next time, just tell the Op to get short to and long through, throw up a gif of Miggy and Pujols and then tell us how you teach hitting while working at the car wash.

and I fixed it for you....geez you couldn't even get that right.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Dude...let it go!!!!

In 6 separate posts you in this thread, you have made the point that I was wrong in the phrasing of my simplistic description of "bat drag". As has already been covered, that description has been removed, and direction was provided to a more detailed and accurate description. It's over, yet you insist on making your point again.

If people wonder why I often have an issue with you, it's because of this. Exactly this. Your compulsion to relentlessly pound away after your point has already been made isn't "helpful", it's being a d*ck.

EricF, you are the one that suggested that the point wasn't made with you. It sounds like you now get the point. It helps when you aren't so stubborn when you are incorrect. We all need to be receptive to learning.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Can you rephrase this statement correctly instead of saying it is wrong? Bat drag is when the elbow leads the hands, and gets in the way of any adjustments.
No matter what picture you put up, when i teach the kids, i never want the elbow ahead of the hands, even way back yonder.
Wright_061213_highside_slo.gif

Mann, in many of your examples you improperly have the hands ahead of the elbow. That is not good either.

A good swing is on the edge of the indicator that you are using for bat drag.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If people wonder why almost everyone, probably including your own parentsoften have an issue with you, it's because of this. Exactly this. Your compulsion to relentlessly pound away after your point has already been made isn't "helpful", it's being a d*ck.

I'm with FFS on this, your post was stupid, why would you try to answer the OP so directly? If you can't muddy the waters for new folks then you are not doing the tech hitting forum any good. Remember the goal, to make hitting seem like some cross between rocket science and Kabala, as penance I want you to do 20 dorsiflexes and 50 sagittal planes, maybe even a pronation or two for good measure. Next time, just tell the Op to get short to and long through, throw up a gif of Miggy and Pujols and then tell us how you teach hitting while working at the car wash.

and I fixed it for you....geez you couldn't even get that right.

The reason to clarify that EricF was incorrect is because many have taken that same road and failed miserably. These aren't people that were stupid or putting in a half effort. These were dedicated and bright people that unfortunately took a wrong turn. Their students literally dragged the barrel for years. They targeted the wrong objective and made learning the swing extremely frustrating for their students.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The reason to clarify that EricF was incorrect is because many have taken that same road and failed miserably. These aren't people that were stupid or putting in a half effort. These were dedicated and bright people that unfortunately took a wrong turn. Their students literally dragged the barrel for years. They targeted the wrong objective and made learning the swing extremely frustrating for their students.

Then offering expansion/explanation on what Eric said would be the course to take if you wanted to help. Simply saying "you are wrong" is not being helpful...it is being a Richard.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Then offering expansion/explanation on what Eric said would be the course to take if you wanted to help. Simply saying "you are wrong" is not being helpful...it is being a Richard.

Suggesting that EricF benefit and learn from the mistakes of others, and avoid repeating such mistakes, is helpful. I've written in the past on the topic multiple times. I don't have the time or bandwidth at the moment to redescribe the solutions in detail ... And folks would whine if I used simple cues. At some point people need to take responsibility for learning and search for the answers.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
EricF, you are the one that suggested that the point wasn't made with you. It sounds like you now get the point. It helps when you aren't so stubborn when you are incorrect. We all need to be receptive to learning.

Stubborn?? Hmmm....On the first page of this thread, in two different posts, I requested that you provide a better description or picture. Others have also made similar requests. Yet, you chose to continue hammering on the same point after it had already been made MULTIPLE times. In fact, you refused to provide info that would be helpful to the topic, and told people to go search for themselves. Who is being stubborn?