Wrists? Bat drag? Understanding a high end swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just my 2 cents....

Bat drag is one possible condition that occurs when a hitter does not use his/her hands and/or wrists properly prior to swing launch. He/she is not creating the proper structure or barrel control and this results in a break down of one or both wrists. It is possible for the hitter to still "whip" the barrel but it is an out front whip (not a push). It is often shown by a hitter having the rear elbow tracking ahead of the hands, but this is not a requirement, and it is possible for the elbow to be slightly ahead of the hands without bat drag being present.

Jan 14, 2015
EricF, here was your description ....

"Bat drag" is a condition where the rear elbow gets significantly ahead of the hands and puts the hitter in a position of dragging the bat along its length. This is an extreme example...

You make it sound like the bat is dragged after this point ... which is not the case ... the barrel has, in a sense, already been dragged.

What you describe as being ‘bat drag’ is the reason that many highly intelligent individuals struggled for years attempting to correct ‘bat drag’ issues. These folks placed bandaide after bandaide on swings attempting to correct a re-definition of ‘bat drag’. Had they actually identified what ‘bat drag’ was, and then attacked that, then they would have likely been much more successful … IMO anyway.

Wouldn't it have been better if you just agreed that what EricF said is the continuation or finishing result of bat drag, but in your opinion, and more importantly, bat drag starts when...yada yada yada?

It's almost like his response pissed you off. The guy made an effort to answer a question as best he could, not exactly sure why the criticism. If you can add to his answer, help the OP out, then please do so.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Wouldn't it have been better if you just agreed that what EricF said is the continuation or finishing result of bat drag, but in your opinion, and more importantly, bat drag starts when...yada yada yada?

It's almost like his response pissed you off. The guy made an effort to answer a question as best he could, not exactly sure why the criticism. If you can add to his answer, help the OP out, then please do so.

To answer your question ... no, it would not have better to simply agree. Not only is EricF incorrect, but he has taken the same position that has led many other well intended, well educated, bright individuals, to fail in solving 'bat drag'. It's the same reason that many fail to solve what they term DBSF.

EricF's response did not "piss me off". I'm simply stating that he is incorrect. No evil intended. He simply gave out incorrect information and it was pointed out.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Starting to understand. Bat lag ok, bat drag bad. It's hard to see without slow motion

If you look at video and find that your student has bat drag, it's actually easy to see in their full swing and at full speed. I can see it without going to video. It helps to also watch it on video. But, with a little practice you can see bat drag at full speed.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just my 2 cents....

Bat drag is one possible condition that occurs when a hitter does not use his/her hands and/or wrists properly prior to swing launch. He/she is not creating the proper structure or barrel control and this results in a break down of one or both wrists. It is possible for the hitter to still "whip" the barrel but it is an out front whip (not a push). It is often shown by a hitter having the rear elbow tracking ahead of the hands, but this is not a requirement, and it is possible for the elbow to be slightly ahead of the hands without bat drag being present.

Yes FP, good description.

I was a little surprised that EricF thought the bat was dragged AFTER the point in the swing that he posted. The dragging, in a sense, had already taken place. That's why the hitter ended up in the orientation that EricF posted.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ahhh. I see now. Your intent was to nit-pick my attempt at providing a simple description for someone who had requested a simple description. Good job, FFS. You have succeeded in cutting me down and illustrating your superiority. I know...you were just being "helpful".

Lose the ego and place more importance on finally getting the concept correct.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
EricF, what you describe here is often a 'result' of what folks term 'bat drag'. From this point onwards the barrel is flung/flailed to impact. It's actually a powerful type whipping action.

It is powerful. That young man is "throwing" that bat into the ball.
Zimmerman_throw_slomo.gif

Nov 29, 2011
Ahhh. I see now. Your intent was to nit-pick my attempt at providing a simple description for someone who had requested a simple description. Good job, FFS. You have succeeded in cutting me down and illustrating your superiority. I know...you were just being "helpful".

That's the only worth FFS has. He has never offered any help, he only offers 'that is wrong'. Your picture is a fine example of bat drag.... and dont hold your breathe that FFS will answer your question or provide a picture.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles