Wrists? Bat drag? Understanding a high end swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
NVF - I hope you learned your lesson. NEVER, EVER ask a simple question and expect a simple answer in the Tech Hitting section.

I hope you learned your lesson as well.

Always-Learning-_Flyer_.jpg

michelangelo-learning.jpg

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
This shows exactly what I was talking about. you can see how she is levelling down with her hands and letting her arms take over the swing. Fixing it on the tee should be really easy. fixing it in games is a whole other ball of flinging limbs.

Set her up with the TEE jamming her, work the inside. She will have to make some of the correct adjustments just to get part of the barrel on the ball. That outside tee placement is a flingers best friend, it lets them get all those limbs inside and fling out. Put that ball low and inside and she will have no chance of touching it with that swing, she will have to adjust.

This is a very practical approach....I am sure you are going to get a whole lotta dorsiflex this and sagittal plane that...but amazing things can happen when you just tell a kid to hit the ball square in all parts of the zone.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
This shows exactly what I was talking about. you can see how she is levelling down with her hands and letting her arms take over the swing. Fixing it on the tee should be really easy. fixing it in games is a whole other ball of flinging limbs.

Set her up with the TEE jamming her, work the inside. She will have to make some of the correct adjustments just to get part of the barrel on the ball. That outside tee placement is a flingers best friend, it lets them get all those limbs inside and fling out. Put that ball low and inside and she will have no chance of touching it with that swing, she will have to adjust.

This is a very practical approach....I am sure you are going to get a whole lotta dorsiflex this and sagittal plane that...but amazing things can happen when you just tell a kid to hit the ball square in all parts of the zone.

Bingo! this is what i worked on last night with my pitcher, put that tee inside and low and watch them slice over the ball at first, until they get the feel of getting the barrel inside and the barrel down and hands above, till they drive that tee placement up the middle.
All part of giving the hands some education.

the work to get it right will involve the front elbow, i use
see or smell your hands, and i will stand behind them with the elbow your brother in the face type stuff.
The bat path will be more ferris wheel, than a flat path with some good tilt.

Of course none of this will work without proper lower end work ahead of time, and, i will have them stand open at first to help them along.

Yes, the very first part of the barrel turn and load, "around" is not so "throw like" as the through.
Correa_2015_ALDS_Gm4_HR1.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45