Wrists? Bat drag? Understanding a high end swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Suggesting that EricF benefit and learn from the mistakes of others, and avoid repeating such mistakes, is helpful. I've written in the past on the topic multiple times. I don't have the time or bandwidth at the moment to redescribe the solutions in detail ... And folks would whine if I used simple cues. At some point people need to take responsibility for learning and search for the answers.

I nominate this for arrogant post of the year. Your implied superiority here is mind boggling. Look, if you don't have time to help, then don't. I am pretty sure DFP will get a long fine without you. So if you can't contribute to a solution because you are just too busy at the car wash then don't post at all.

to quote bugs bunny "adios, arrive dercci....bon voyagee"

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I nominate this for arrogant post of the year. Your implied superiority here is mind boggling. Look, if you don't have time to help, then don't. I am pretty sure DFP will get a long fine without you. So if you can't contribute to a solution because you are just too busy at the car wash then don't post at all.

to quote bugs bunny "adios, arrive dercci....bon voyagee"

And this from Mr. Arrogant himself.

When my bandwidth is up I'll spend more time. I'm simply too busy at the moment. If you think your quick stab solved the OP's concern, then think again. Follow your own advice of not helping if you aren't going to put in a complete solution. I currently have a team of engineers to train, multiple softball teams to train, my own team to train, HS students that are trying to get in some hitting training, my regular hitters to continue training and a college student getting tuned up. I'm taxed out. The information is available for those willing to put the work in and locate it. Sooner or later people need to take responsibility .... and that message extends to the hitters and engineers that I train as well.

May 18, 2009
I'd like to get from A to B without 6 pages of arguing the finer points of a simple description.

I posted some short videos of my DD at her first batting lesson. Hopefully to help others see a before and after transformation. My idea is to continue posting and see how her swing changes over time. I'm sure some of you have had great success with your students by the virtues of your teaching methods but you need to remember others have probably had similar results with their methods. The entire idea of a forum is to share insight into the experience and hopefully find the methods that work best for you. I've found best teachers and coaches are the ones that can adapt new methods into their own methods to improve themselves and their students.

If you've got some before and after videos of your students swings and how you've changed bat drag to bat lag I'd like to see them.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I don't have the time or bandwidth at the moment to redescribe the solutions in detail ...

you know....

If you eliminated the time you spend reiterating unhelpful "you are doing it wrong" posts with no explanation, or offer of a correction;
then you might be surprised how much time and bandwidth you have leftover...

Just sayin'...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
you know....

If you eliminated the time you spend reiterating unhelpful "you are doing it wrong" posts with no explanation, or offer of a correction;
then you might be surprised how much time and bandwidth you have leftover...

Just sayin'...

If folks weren't so stubborn, when they are obviously incorrect, then points wouldn't need to be re-iterated.

As an FYI, it takes very little time to help educate folks that they are moving in an incorrect direction. It takes more time to help them move in a correct direction. It takes even more time if the individual you are attempting to help isn't interested in being helped and wishes to have their beliefs reinforced instead.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'd like to get from A to B without 6 pages of arguing the finer points of a simple description.

I posted some short videos of my DD at her first batting lesson. Hopefully to help others see a before and after transformation. My idea is to continue posting and see how her swing changes over time. I'm sure some of you have had great success with your students by the virtues of your teaching methods but you need to remember others have probably had similar results with their methods. The entire idea of a forum is to share insight into the experience and hopefully find the methods that work best for you. I've found best teachers and coaches are the ones that can adapt new methods into their own methods to improve themselves and their students.

If you've got some before and after videos of your students swings and how you've changed bat drag to bat lag I'd like to see them.

Tend to agree. The arguing here is simply foolish. Everyone now seems to agree that the information wasn't correct ... and the poster of that information even deleted their description. Why the continued need to argue over it is simply silly. Suggests to me that something else is at play.

I don't have time to cut up a video of your daughter's swing, but see if this here might help. It's more of an objective type approach. See if it works for you.

Review the clip below. Notice that at the pause that the palm of the top hand (right hand) is orientated towards the sky. Give your daughter the goal of having the palm of the top hand orientated such that it points back more towards the pitcher than towards the sky.

2ue6tmg.gif

The palm of the top hand may end up orientated towards left-field ... that's a good thing.

2d1ka4l.gif

Enjoy hitting and the time spent with your daughter.

Aug 26, 2015
At some point people need to take responsibility for learning and search for the answers.

This, by the way, is NOT an opinion piece. Your documented history here in proper context clearly backs up everything I am saying. I sincerely mean this when I say that I write this to help you. From here on, however, if the behavior continues, that sentiment won't be extended. You will have rejected help and as such my focus will go to the rest of the community, which is AWESOME. People are literally paranoid about posting threads about simple questions because you're sitting in the tech hitting section like a 25 year old 9th grader in the playground beating his chest and saying "this is MY domain".

How about you do this to save yourself more precious time? Stop making 1 - 2 line posts about what's wrong and instead take 30 secs. a day to work on the step by step approach to fix it. Then, in the future, when everyone who is "so new or so stupid" as to not know the proper methods posts something, your 1 - 2 line post could simply be "This is wrong. See here (with see here being a link to aforementioned post). Anyone disagree with your methods would be free to do so without the back and forth, which takes much more than 30 secs a day. I find it quite ironic that you mentioned the need for people to take responsibility for learning and search for answers. To date you are north of 11K posts and you still haven't learned how to communicate with people you THINK are incapable of understanding your philosophy OR unwilling to put the effort in to learn a better way. Instead you keep responding to many (I would say every, but that would be a bit presumptuous) posts that are cyclical. It's the same situation on thread after thread. A new or unlearned person asks a question seeking opinions from differing camps. People respond with what they think is helpful (offering a solution) and you respond with what you think is helpful (offering criticism of the solutions offered and a blanket response to search for the answers, which is what asking others is btw). You then begin to dissect.....not the OPs issue to help the OP.....oh no, you dissect those looking to offer a solution....almost down to the syllable.

I have no beef with you. I've asked you and several others things and have received what I deemed as help in the past. I'll continue to do so until my own personal stupidity is cured (fat chance that's happening anytime soon) or I am replied to with "leave me alone. you're asking me too many questions! (or some version of that). However, it just seems like if you really wanted to maximize your time (with the schedule you listed, it seems like it could be quite overwhelming), taking 30 seconds (by just rolling your eyes at the idiots in the other camps who don't have a clue) to write "the holy grail answer" that you know and have used for all of this time with success, according to you and those you've worked with.

In closing, I sincerely hope my expectations are wrong, but I highly doubt they are. So here we are:

Fact 1: According to Albert Einstein, insanity is doing the same thing over expecting a different result.

Fact 2: The psychoanalysis of narcissism is self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

Since you've mentioned the years you've worked with students in softball, I deduct that you aren't a young baby. So, that leaves 2 alternatives, according to Albert Einstein. You are either willfully narcissistic by way of a mental disorder or ignorantly insane due to an inability to learn how to effectively communicate ideas to those who will listen and ignore those who won't. Both are resolvable, but neither can be without taking that first step: admitting you have a problem.

For the sake of the community for which you are a part of, and the valuable concepts you possess, can you admit you are 1 of the 2 (to yourself, not on here) and take steps to correct it?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This, by the way, is NOT an opinion piece. Your documented history here in proper context clearly backs up everything I am saying. I sincerely mean this when I say that I write this to help you. From here on, however, if the behavior continues, that sentiment won't be extended. You will have rejected help and as such my focus will go to the rest of the community, which is AWESOME. People are literally paranoid about posting threads about simple questions because you're sitting in the tech hitting section like a 25 year old 9th grader in the playground beating his chest and saying "this is MY domain".

How about you do this to save yourself more precious time? Stop making 1 - 2 line posts about what's wrong and instead take 30 secs. a day to work on the step by step approach to fix it. Then, in the future, when everyone who is "so new or so stupid" as to not know the proper methods posts something, your 1 - 2 line post could simply be "This is wrong. See here (with see here being a link to aforementioned post). Anyone disagree with your methods would be free to do so without the back and forth, which takes much more than 30 secs a day. I find it quite ironic that you mentioned the need for people to take responsibility for learning and search for answers. To date you are north of 11K posts and you still haven't learned how to communicate with people you THINK are incapable of understanding your philosophy OR unwilling to put the effort in to learn a better way. Instead you keep responding to many (I would say every, but that would be a bit presumptuous) posts that are cyclical. It's the same situation on thread after thread. A new or unlearned person asks a question seeking opinions from differing camps. People respond with what they think is helpful (offering a solution) and you respond with what you think is helpful (offering criticism of the solutions offered and a blanket response to search for the answers, which is what asking others is btw). You then begin to dissect.....not the OPs issue to help the OP.....oh no, you dissect those looking to offer a solution....almost down to the syllable.

I have no beef with you. I've asked you and several others things and have received what I deemed as help in the past. I'll continue to do so until my own personal stupidity is cured (fat chance that's happening anytime soon) or I am replied to with "leave me alone. you're asking me too many questions! (or some version of that). However, it just seems like if you really wanted to maximize your time (with the schedule you listed, it seems like it could be quite overwhelming), taking 30 seconds (by just rolling your eyes at the idiots in the other camps who don't have a clue) to write "the holy grail answer" that you know and have used for all of this time with success, according to you and those you've worked with.

In closing, I sincerely hope my expectations are wrong, but I highly doubt they are. So here we are:

Fact 1: According to Albert Einstein, insanity is doing the same thing over expecting a different result.

Fact 2: The psychoanalysis of narcissism is self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

Since you've mentioned the years you've worked with students in softball, I deduct that you aren't a young baby. So, that leaves 2 alternatives, according to Albert Einstein. You are either willfully narcissistic by way of a mental disorder or ignorantly insane due to an inability to learn how to effectively communicate ideas to those who will listen and ignore those who won't. Both are resolvable, but neither can be without taking that first step: admitting you have a problem.

For the sake of the community for which you are a part of, and the valuable concepts you possess, can you admit you are 1 of the 2 (to yourself, not on here) and take steps to correct it?

If you wish to believe the barrel is dragged after the point that EricF stated, then go ahead and believe that. I simply disagree.

Don't fool yourself into believing that many others aren't getting the information correct. I routinely receive communications from people confirming that they are getting the information correct.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
that message looks like it got across DODL :) nice try anyway. Don't feel bad, you are not the first to try to point this out to Cliff only to have it fall on deaf ears. There is a pretty active underground PM hitting forum back channel that a lot of us use just to avoid the FiveFrameFactor....you can use that. It's like the tunnel system from Hogans Heroes used to avoid Colonel Klink. Just find some folks you trust and converse with them. Everyone else besides him is pretty generous with their time and advice. Someday he will be banned for being a general nuisance and the mole people can resurface into the sunlight but until he is gone both hitting forums will be closer to warzones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach