Winter Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DB1

Apr 23, 2009
Metro East StL
Another video after discussing some of the other thoughts from before. Really wish I would have taken video at the end as we worked on removing the sway back, focused on pressure on the inside of rear leg and trying to keep head from moving too much. I thought it was better, will have to get video next time. Any other thoughts or ideas?

[video=youtube_share;nb5GS9nqz1s]http://youtu.be/nb5GS9nqz1s[/video]

R

RayR

When you learn to use your back muscles correctly your hips will want to "pop" in the forward direction...while this swing is pretty good it is missing a key ingredient to make it awesome...

What I see is a swing controlled by an over active lower body working to create momentum...

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RayR,
Would a deeper tee position (tee at rear leg/hip) help the hitter use her back muscles instead of her chest?
we worked on removing the sway back, focused on pressure on the inside of rear leg Right now your DD's stride thought seems to come from her front leg. Swing seems to be out front/beside her instead of behind her/corner. I would like to see her swing off of a deeper tee. Maybe work the tee back a little at a time and see what happens. Someone correct me if I am wrong in my advice. That is my current thought process with my DD.

Nov 9, 2013
Your daughter has a powerful swing. I attribute this to her nice "load", especially the lifting of her front leg. Not only does this allow her to capture the power that comes from the ground, it will help her adjust to inside and outside pitches, without getting jammed or reaching. One suggestion would be for not to sway back during the load. During the load, her head should remain still and her back leg should serve as a stiff barrier. It appears that her back leg breaks just a little.

I also like her extension at impact and her finish----very powerful and in a nice high position. The more she can keep that extension through her finish will ensure she doesn't lose bat speed.

My only constructive criticism would be for her to move her hands back and away from her body. I take a lot of heat on this discussion board for my thoughts on hand position, but I have facts (bat speed radar) on my side. Your daughter has her hands right next to her head for a good part of the swing, which will inhibiting. I would lower her hands and move them away from her head and back a little toward the catcher. If she tries this, she should imediately feel more "pop", because she does such a nice job with her lower body.

Overall, a very nice swing.

R

RayR

Yes - deeper tee position could/would force the hitter to adjust how she swings if she is being instructed correctly. Nice catch.

RayR,
Would a deeper tee position (tee at rear leg/hip) help the hitter use her back muscles instead of her chest?
we worked on removing the sway back, focused on pressure on the inside of rear leg Right now your DD's stride thought seems to come from her front leg. Swing seems to be out front/beside her instead of behind her/corner. I would like to see her swing off of a deeper tee. Maybe work the tee back a little at a time and see what happens. Someone correct me if I am wrong in my advice. That is my current thought process with my DD.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Adjustability....

petricca,
Like RHC stated and has been pointed out to you numerous times that type of swing will have little to know adjustability from the beginning (hands back towards catcher) through your swing(extension/power V ) at contact. I know you have checked radar bat speed. Probably off a tee. How about against a pitcher? Can you post a hitter you model your swing after or just point me to that hitter and I will post it if I can find the hitter.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
DB1 a clip of the swings with more rear leg resistance would be helpful to see how the upper is responding. Her handset is fine IMO.
Many hitters don't know how to resist the coil move with the upper body so the result is an upper body that turns backwards when the hip coils. Then you get all back all forward. Can you see this when you look at your DD's swing?
Your DD has an explosive swing! That's great. Now build in resistance between the upper and lower.
In this clip She launches the barrel before Her rear leg and hip fire. That is a function of the front leg/hip being active. This is why a clip with the rear pressure would be helpful to see where She is at.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
DB1 a clip of the swings with more rear leg resistance would be helpful to see how the upper is responding. Her handset is fine IMO.
Many hitters don't know how to resist the coil move with the upper body so the result is an upper body that turns backwards when the hip coils. Then you get all back all forward. Can you see this when you look at your DD's swing?
Your DD has an explosive swing! That's great. Now build in resistance between the upper and lower.
In this clip She launches the barrel before Her rear leg and hip fire. That is a function of the front leg/hip being active. This is why a clip with the rear pressure would be helpful to see where She is at.

Heck, many hitters don't even comprehend that the coil is a form of resistance to their forward movement ..... let alone have a feel of the stretch reaching the hands as a form of resistance.

Feb 14, 2010
Petricca,

You really need to stop with this drivel. You are going to do some serious damage to a young girl and her journey to attain a HLS. As far as I'm concerned your radar readings and the fact you stand behind that as your proof is absolutely ridiculous. I encourage EVERY parent and child to use the Hanson principle and look for yourself. It's absolutely irresponsible for people to throw crap out there without having video proof to back up their teachings.

The reason I take issue with you Petricca is I was a newbie parent at one time trying to get my DD to the point she is right now and I took a HUGE misstep by listening to a nationally respected expert without doing my own research and I vowed to never do that again. These parents and kids on here deserve better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish