Strength training vs Pitching reps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What would you put more emphasis on between the two topics posted above and why
Without a doubt I would put the emphasis on reps. She needs to improve on control and refine her change up as well as add a spin pitch, and you can't get any of that done with just physical training. If you want to work on adding velocity include some weighted ball practice. I don't know what her practices include now but a section of it should focus just on just throwing fast, and finding that edge where her mechanics break down or where she 'over throws'. If you have the time to work on these things and do some PT then have at it.

Dec 11, 2010
I gotta tell you, I wish I had heard “what is your plan to get to 10,000 pitches“ when DD’s were pitching as youth players. We practiced plenty but I think that framing that idea well would have helped my kids approach to practice.

I want to chime in on strength training. Both DD’s played/play in college. DD #1 played at a nice mid major program and got to play top teams all spring. They had talent. They also had injuries. Lots of them. Due to improper strength training. They did long runs. Pretty much did everything wrong.

DD#2 has a great strength and agility program. Yes, they do all the Olympic lifts you have heard of. But they do them completely supervised with competent help. They do run but its mostly sprinting (complete with lots of barfing into garbage cans).

She recently told me that she has figured out that their strength training program is based on athletic performance. She has to work out in private gyms sometimes when she is away from school. She says that she notices that the other folks working out look at her and she can tell they are thinking “what in the hell is she doing”. Her boyfriend is a baseball player. His workouts look more like Arnold training for Conan The Barbarian. Maybe thats ok for boys. It isn’t for females.

Back on track: DD’s school has very few injuries. They are pretty fast as a team. They are obviously strong. Just down the road, their main conference rivals have had a ton of injuries in the four years I have been watching closely. This team did not compete well in WCWS because of injuries. They are bigger. They look out of shape to me although I'm sure they are in the weight room a lot. It’s a great athletics school and their football team is one of “those“ teams so they have resources. Yet the softball team isn’t doing something right.

It’s a difference maker. Yet if a staff of trainers can’t get it right, how can a parent? Proceed with caution but you have to proceed….

Apr 14, 2022
I gotta tell you, I wish I had heard “what is your plan to get to 10,000 pitches“ when DD’s were pitching as youth players. We practiced plenty but I think that framing that idea well would have helped my kids approach to practice.

I want to chime in on strength training. Both DD’s played/play in college. DD #1 played at a nice mid major program and got to play top teams all spring. They had talent. They also had injuries. Lots of them. Due to improper strength training. They did long runs. Pretty much did everything wrong.

DD#2 has a great strength and agility program. Yes, they do all the Olympic lifts you have heard of. But they do them completely supervised with competent help. They do run but its mostly sprinting (complete with lots of barfing into garbage cans).

She recently told me that she has figured out that their strength training program is based on athletic performance. She has to work out in private gyms sometimes when she is away from school. She says that she notices that the other folks working out look at her and she can tell they are thinking “what in the hell is she doing”. Her boyfriend is a baseball player. His workouts look more like Arnold training for Conan The Barbarian. Maybe thats ok for boys. It isn’t for females.

Back on track: DD’s school has very few injuries. They are pretty fast as a team. They are obviously strong. Just down the road, their main conference rivals have had a ton of injuries in the four years I have been watching closely. This team did not compete well in WCWS because of injuries. They are bigger. They look out of shape to me although I'm sure they are in the weight room a lot. It’s a great athletics school and their football team is one of “those“ teams so they have resources. Yet the softball team isn’t doing something right.

It’s a difference maker. Yet if a staff of trainers can’t get it right, how can a parent? Proceed with caution but you have to proceed….
Can you elaborate what is the matter with long runs? How far is to far?

Dec 11, 2010
Can you elaborate what is the matter with long runs? How far is to far?
Sorry, I don’t have a background in this, hopefully someone will chime in that does. I just know that older dd did it, younger one doesn’t and most concur that long distance running isn’t what softball players should do. Sprinting is where it’s at for sb.

May 13, 2023
Have known multiple pitchers who were also cross country runners.

Think there is a consideration to the endurance of a pitcher and their training maybe a bit different than the rest of the team.

As far as running, sprinting, jogging or long runs, think the surface that's being ran on is an important consideration ~cement, pavement versus anything else.

I am in the camp of building muscle strength as being important to balance out how the body is using itself.
Versus only pitching, does not develop muscle strength evenly throughout the body.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Next one up, one goes down the next one is up. It’s a vicious cycle.

Mine are just exercising at 14. The program they’re in is not just lifting weights.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
The training is less than 50% of it, nutrition and rest are just as important and that may be where a lot players mess up (put the phone down and go to bed..)
good argument for starting school later, as the data suggests it reliably leads to more rest, better grades, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad