Tryout notice translator

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
I texted a coach last week about a Facebook message asking for a little more info on his plan for fall. He responded back but we didn't attend last week. He texted me yesterday and told me they were getting together again today so we are going to go out for tonight's tryouts. I don't know how to decipher the message though.

It has:

Newly forming
need several girls
looking to fill the remaining spots with the best available
want the best families and attitudes
No positions are settled
I teach the entire game and not just a position

The guy's wife posted the message. I don't know anything about him. I apparently went to high school with her but I don't remember her at all and I really hope that she doesn't remember me either. I just can't figure out if it is a buzzword salad or a legitimate posting.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That post seems OK, they are starting up a Team. (Newly forming was the hint, ignore the rest)

You need to find some way to find something out about the HC and it might be great!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
"Looking for an experienced thrower to share circle time with one other pitcher" should be translated as either:

"Your daughter will rarely pitch as the coach's daughter will usually get the circle."

or

"Your daughter will always have to pitch as the coach's daughter has had only one pitching lesson."

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
These are great and so very true. I think JJS has covered most of them. But there is also the coach talk as they try to schmooze you onto the team. We were told we just want to build a solid core of first year players this year and we'll take our lumps and I want to carry 3 pitchers, our two daughters and a third to fill in when necessary - just to show up to a parent meeting with 5 pitchers, 5 catchers and 15 players - 6 of whom were 2nd year. Oh and then added a 6th pitcher that weekend. Dreading the next month of tryouts :(

We may have been on the same team!

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Based on my experience, tryout notices are like real estate listings. There are certain code words that really mean something else.

All positions open and earned- Coaches Daughters will play their preferred positions and their friends will occupy the rest of the infield, all positions in the outfield are up for grabs.

Looking for girls to add to a strong core- Team drama caused half of the team to bail so we need 3-5 players to field a team.

Looking for committed players who are ready to take their game to the next level- We do not know how to develop players or instill accountability so we need girls that are basically fully developed and self motivated.

all posts that have 4 paragraphs about the Org's success but nothing about the specific team's success typically means the teams stinks...This is also known as the Firecracker rule.

Seeking dominant pitcher- We cannot defend or hit, our only hope is a lot of strikeouts but we are too stupid to realize that no dominant pitcher would ever join our team but we can dream can't we?

Seeking bit bats- Coaches daughter is a sub par pitcher and needs a lot of run support to survive.

Nov 3, 2012
"Each position will be earned" translates to you better be twice as good as the returning girls or you've earned a spot in right field.

Also, how about the 30th "repost" for the tryout in 3 days, means we really hope some decent girls show up this year or we're going to have another rough year.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
The whole organization is folding or just her team?

The entire organization will cease to exist after nationals. Everyone pretty much knew it was coming, but last night it became official.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not a bad thing, coaches trust who they trust. It is hard to knock off the player in front of you.

(I am getting annoyed with the OF being a punishmentt)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
I saw an interesting ad a couple years ago.

"We're looking for players who aren't happy with their current organization. If your daughter isn't getting the playing time or innings she deserves we want you"

It went on.."We have the top pitching instructor in the state...The average speed of a her graduates is 68mph"

Just what everyone wants! Disgruntled families and perpetual program hoppers who are delusional about pitching speeds!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles