Tryout notice translator

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 27, 2014
"Looking for girls to add to a strong core- Team drama caused half of the team to bail so we need 3-5 players to field a team."

We have a team that posts on our board ALL THE TIME looking to add to their "great core". End of last year when we were looking for a 10u team, I checked their site and board posts. The last two years they have many posts looking to add to their core. Their site would GUSH about their CORE and then show they added to the CORE...and then the NEXT year they would repeatedy post again about their great core and needing to add to it etc.

I know there is always attrition but, imo, repeated stressing of the core says the team is about the HC, AC's kids and everyone else fills in.

Jun 19, 2013
These are great and so very true. I think JJS has covered most of them. But there is also the coach talk as they try to schmooze you onto the team. We were told we just want to build a solid core of first year players this year and we'll take our lumps and I want to carry 3 pitchers, our two daughters and a third to fill in when necessary - just to show up to a parent meeting with 5 pitchers, 5 catchers and 15 players - 6 of whom were 2nd year. Oh and then added a 6th pitcher that weekend. Dreading the next month of tryouts :(

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
"Looking for girls to add to a strong core- Team drama caused half of the team to bail so we need 3-5 players to field a team."

"Runner up state champions" (in the C division in the smallest ALPHA ORG tournament and led by the pitcher who has since left the team)

"non-parent coaches" - coach is recent 22 year old college graduate who will do what the 'parent team manager' tells her to (this is actually WORSE than really bad Daddy ball)

"non-parent coaches" - who also give individual lessons that you need to take otherwise you are not seeing the field except from the dugout

"ex-college coach" - but isn't anymore because of a non-disclosed on-campus scandal and a 10-205 W-L record

"don't let distance be an issue" - we are desperate for players and all the local girls are committed elsewhere

"orgs 18U Gold Program places all their players in college" - this is where all your money and fees will be going... and sure SSW State Community College is college.

"drama free" - not drama free

"next level" - our team aged up, so we have to play 14U now

"we teach more than just softball" - blah, blah, blah, life lessons like being benched for pick up players, etc.

"openings for a #1 pitcher" - please god, let a pitcher turn up at tryouts. One that can just throw strikes would be GREAT

"competitive program" - we play games with umpires.

"independent program"- we have been kicked out of all the local organizations.

"tryouts at XXX Middle School" - we can't find a field to practice on.

"sponsored by XXXX" - you get $20 off retail MSRP and you will be forced to buy all new equipment even though you can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere and there is nothing wrong with what is in your equipment bag right now.

"planned fundraising will keep costs low" - you will NEVER, EVER have a weekend off.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
"sponsored by XXXX" - you get $20 off retail MSRP and you will be forced to buy all new equipment even though you can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere and there is nothing wrong with what is your equipment bag right now.

lot's of good ones Marriard, but this one is 100% correct....SPONSORED TEAM=ORG GETS PERCENTAGE OF SALES on forced team purchases- it does not mean you get free stuff.

Jan 23, 2015
Hilarious! Keep 'em coming! We got the expected word last night that dd's org is folding after nationals, so this thread could not be more apropos. It will be dd's first "real" tryout season in 4 years.

The whole organization is folding or just her team?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Classic...and very timely! Needed the chuckles today with this! FWIW, I've also got a piece of real estate I'll be trying to sell soon and have been thinking of that "code" too! Cute, charming, nice views, great neighborhood???

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
of course, you all know, the only smart way to approach a tryout is do your homework and KNOW the scoop,
well before tryouts begin.

This means, watching the team play in tournaments, talking to the coach, talking to a few parents (both current and former players), etc.

My DD's rookie and soph seasons (both 12U) I was naive, and DD joined teams with 90% new roster and new head coach, twice.
And although things weren't terrible, we are looking to be much smarter this time around, moving up to 14U.

Around here anyway, all the clubs schedule tryouts for the same week, and encourage players to attend at least 2/3 tryout sessions.
Presumably to force kids to choose which tryout they attend.
So, its like a big game of musical chairs.
There could be a bunch of solid players at tryouts, but after you accept an invite to play for a team,
you may find not a single one of them at your first practice.
Gotta be smart.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles