Trying to teach my daughter how to bat.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Difficult to comment on one swing with a tee placed as far away as it is. Does she have a bad swing, or might she have a good swing that is being cut short due to a need to reach out for the ball?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Fiveframes,

Can you post the entire swing as a gif?

1q0bbm.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Keepin her hands back and turning the barrel will continue to create the upper half resistance she starts. It will give a greater lower running start creating a corner. It will create a cast or whip in the swing. Her hands in tight and turning the barrel will stop the casting of the hands and sent the casting or whipping to the barrel. Just changing her hand set and turning the barrel can change the whole appearance and power source to the swing.

The days of coaches, instructors, and parents giving a kid a 12 step list of what is "wrong" with their swing, then telling them to start at step one....needs to stop. The kids "fix" step one, there swing has changed, problems 2-12 are now different or gone, and they now have new issues. So they go on to step 2, then step three, and etc. Several years down the road they are still struggling because they are trying to fix all the symptoms.
All she needs to know right now is keep your hands in tight.

May 12, 2014
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll have her try your suggestions tonight and move the tee in closer. So, should her head stay centered and still?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Keepin her hands back and turning the barrel will continue to create the upper half resistance she starts. It will give a greater lower running start creating a corner. It will create a cast or whip in the swing. Her hands in tight and turning the barrel will stop the casting of the hands and sent the casting or whipping to the barrel. Just changing her hand set and turning the barrel can change the whole appearance and power source to the swing.

The days of coaches, instructors, and parents giving a kid a 12 step list of what is "wrong" with their swing, then telling them to start at step one....needs to stop. The kids "fix" step one, there swing has changed, problems 2-12 are now different or gone, and they now have new issues. So they go on to step 2, then step three, and etc. Several years down the road they are still struggling because they are trying to fix all the symptoms.
All she needs to know right now is keep your hands in tight.

Not sure what the dribble is about a 12 step process. What 12 steps are you talking about?

Back to this young girl. I explained why her hands were not kept in tight ... and until that is addressed it will continue to be an issue.

Before going further ... let's see a swing with the tree not placed so far away from the batter.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Not sure what the dribble is about a 12 step process. What 12 steps are you talking about?

Back to this young girl. I explained why her hands were not kept in tight ... and until that is addressed it will continue to be an issue.

Before going further ... let's see a swing with the tree not placed so far away from the batter.

I wasn't talking about you.

:D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06