Throwing off the facemask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Have that coach google MLB catcher plays at the plate, the images show just about every one with his mask still on. It protects from bad hops as well as collisions.

I'm still surprised after all these years coaches are still sticking with this take the mask off thing, when its obvious that the upper levels do not.

Jun 18, 2013
As Amy said, never ever take it off. No need to teach the player anything.

(I guess if she goes out and talks to the P she can take it off if she wants to but that is about it)

At the end of every practice my DD and I have a quick quiz about where she should be positioning herself during certain plays. Things like, no runners on ball hit to infield where do you go? Back up first base. Runner on second ball put in play? Two steps in front of home plate until ball is thrown to you then receive and go to apply tag if needed. The last question is always, where is your helmet during all of this? The answer is always, firmly planted on your head where it belongs.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As a beginning catcher I have two basic rules for the facemask:
1. leave it on when there's no time to safely throw it off, i.e. while playing home->1B or trying to catch a pop up close to home, or when I'm running hard to get a pop up that's in the middle of the distance between 1B and home;
2. take it off on the wild pitch while running for the ball or when there's a possibility of trying to make an out at home after a hit. I throw it far to the side to keep it out of my (and umpire's and other players') way.
But mostly, it stays on. Safety first.

Please don't. The runner coming home is wearing a helmet with a metal cage protecting her face, why wouldn't you protect your self at least as well?

There's also this...

I teach catchers to keep the helmet on their head when the ball is in play ANYWHERE on the field. The only time my DD takes hers off is when calling out the game situation to her team between batters.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
My rule is simple. Do not take the helmet off ever, if you are on the field. There is no reason to whip it off and they are not made to whip off.
well said. when I was a kid, the mask cut out your peripheral vision just like an underwater mask. it was made to come off.

Eric (and anybody else)- I'm wondering if the baserunner who attempted to take out the catcher had succeeded and she dropped the ball - would she then be called out for not only not avoiding the collision but also intentionally causing it?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Practice pop ups behind the plate with the mask on. If the catcher can't make the play it's not because of the mask. There is no reason to take off the new style masks.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
What you are supposed to work with catchers on their position? I thought they were only supposed to warmup pitchers and catch the ball for the coach when they are hitting IF practice.

Strange and arbitrary question: Should DD toss her fielding face mask off after the batter hits the ball?

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think we're going to leave the current plan in place...
154_zpsjwepjahn.jpg

133_zpsnki2kwjr.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch