Throwing off the facemask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD's coach wants her to take off the facemask on every play- including the ones she plays.
I think it's fine if she takes off the mask when the fielders have the ball, but what about when she is making the play on a pop-up, foul, etc?

I don't see other catchers removing their masks very often.

These aren't the masks we used to have when I was a kid.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
When I was about 10 yrs old, I was catching when a batter hit a pop-up. I stood up, tossed off the mask looking for the ball, and was promptly greeted by a bat to the head as the hitter swung the bat back. Knocked me out cold. I woke up with a huge headache and a concussion. (and saw that kid running laps around the complex.)

Yeah, when its hit out in the field, taking off the mask is probably fine. For pop-ups I'd suggest she keep it on.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Try throwing off a "hockey style" catchers helmet. I would think it wouldn't be long before she had a bloody nose. Just leave it on.

Jan 28, 2010
Had our catcher at 10U throw her mask off for a pop-up last year. Lost it in the sun, caught it with her right eye-socket... ouch. Keep 'em on unless you can't see. The Mizuno ones have a nice extended opening at the top to increase the visibility.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Short answer – don’t take it off. Read on for the long version.

The ‘old’ style catcher’s masks, similar to the mask used by plate umpires, are easily removed because they just had a strap that slipped over the back of a hard skull cap. The new style helmets are designed similar to those used by hockey goalies and are more protective because they provide more coverage, which makes them bigger, bulkier, and heavier. The primary drawback w/ the hockey style helmet is that it wasn’t designed for easy removal. The next time will be the first time that I see a goalie intentionally remove their helmet during game play. As a former catcher who’s be hit on the ear, neck, and back of the head by a wild follow through while wearing just a mask, and a father/coach to a 16U DD catcher, today’s catcher helmets represent a significant safety improvement and should be kept on.
The perceived issue leading to the recommendation that the catcher’s mask be removed during plays is decreased field of vision, but I don’t believe that its a valid concern. Catchers have gotten accustomed to catching and blocking pitches at up to 65+ mph despite their visibility being partially obscured by the mask. If they can deal w/ this on every pitch, there’s no reason they can’t successfully make any other play during the game w/ the mask also on.

The difficulty w/ catchers catching pop ups behind or near the plate isn’t visibility, its that, unlike all the other players on the field, the catcher doesn’t see the entire flight of the ball because of their close proximity to the point of contact and the instantaneous change in ball path. The catcher has to ‘find’ the ball in the air and then infer its initial trajectory to estimate where its going to come down.

The lower part of the catchers helmet, which extends below the chin to protect the throat, typically is solid and fully obstructs the catcher’s view for a brief period of time when it passes in front of their eyes when its being removed. Additionally, these helmets are relatively heavy and for younger catchers can really jostle their head when being removed. Don’t forget too, that if you take it off, you have to find the ball before deciding which way to toss it so you don’t end up stepping on/in it! Until a catcher has significant experience, these issues don’t outweigh the advantage of trying to catch a pop w/ the mask removed.

BTW – saw a U14 C last weekend get a concussion after taking a knee to the side of the head while trying to dive to tag out a runner sliding in to the plate. A result of poor coaching/instruction IMO.

Hope this helps - Greenmonsters

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I would have to agree with Greenmonsters. Attached are two pictures of my DD tagging a runner out and taking an elbow to the face.The mask was fully on her head at the onset of the play. The runner's elbow was a direct hit to the cheek, causing the mask to fly off her face several feet. She was able to complete the tag and suffer no injury. (She had new braces at the time!) We instruct our catchers to always leave the mask on. One of our new catchers forgot and took hers off at the hit of the ball. She then remebered and went after the mask while the play was in progress! (Fortunately there was no play at the plate) She was trying to make the change though! :D

Attachments

• P1090357.jpg
    P1090357.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 531
  • P1090357 copy.jpg
    P1090357 copy.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks everyone!
This confirms my understanding-I thought the Catcher with the goalie-style helmet was to keep it on most of the time.
I was ok with her taking it off during a play with runners on base, but now I question that, too.

Thanks again for the help!

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I'll disagree with one point...

I don't see much difference in ease of removal between the conventional facemask and the hockey-style helmet. The technique is roughly the same- grab the mask at the chin and lift up and out. I routinely see catchers and umpires use this technique to remove helmets in one fluid motion without any problem.

And add another...

One of the selling points and advantages of the helmet is that, by design, it should be less intrusive on the wearer's field of vision than a conventional mask. The bars are thinner, more widely spaced and closer to the face. Additionally, there is an absence of thick padding running along both sides of the face, right next to the eyes. All of these features combine to create what should be a wider, less obstructed view.

And, I will add a plea...

Personally, I don't care what the catcher does with her mask- just so long as she doesn't whip it back and nail the umpire in the forehead, raising a big red welt- as one catcher did to me this week! Watch where you throw those things and remember there's another person standing inches behind you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06