Using cut off for HS age?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Errors in judgement are made..that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it properly. Biggest issue is that a lot of OF throw like hot garbage..
It's like they are throwing a hand grenade as high and far as possible. At some point someone has to tell them a one or two bounce throw is a better.

Jun 8, 2016
It's like they are throwing a hand grenade as high and far as possible. At some point someone has to tell them a one or two bounce throw is a better.
Well I was talking about throwing mechanics. It amazes me the way some P5 OF throw...my 8 YO son has better throwing mechanics (he might actually have better throwing mechanics than my DD tbh..). Throwing a softball at a young age messes them all up.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Even in college they use cuts, but many times it's to make a play on a trailing runner when there isn't a chance to get the lead. Depending what level of HS your fielders are at, they may have a strong arm and an accurate throw in practice, but put them in the rushed situation of a game with a ball hit to the gap that stops at the fence, the rate of cutting down runners at home by the outfielder is not that high.
Our problem is our home field is 230' and we don't have THAT good of athletes. Our cut-offs have to get out farther than normal on deep balls.
230 fields make for a more exciting game.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am curious on what the current thinking is on using cut offs when outfielders get to the age where they have a strong enough arm to make an accurate throw to home when there's a potential for a play at the plate? Should an outfielder still have to hit a cut off (which seems like it takes more time) when she has the strength and the skill set to make the throw directly home?
If their arm is, "strong enough" then they should be able to throw the ball on a line where the ball can be cut or allowed to go through. We teach our runners to read the throw and if it can't be cut, they are to take the next base.

May 13, 2021
From about 10U DD could throw a strike from the fence. Annoyed some of her coached that she ignored the cutoff person sometimes.

The player needs to be confident of an out if she makes those throws. Safer decision is to hit cutoff person.
That is impressive at 10yo, would be somewhere just north of 70mph.

Jun 11, 2013
I think the term cutoff and relay are often used interchangeably but are different. For a throw on a ball hit in front of an OF you should throw so that it can be cutoff if needed but will also make it to the base your throwing to. A relay is more used when it's in gap so that you can get it to an IF who can be told where to throw. Either way you have to be in a habit of hitting either as it prevents big innings. They only time it doesn't matter is in a do or die situation or one with no other outcome such as a tag up from 3rd on a Fly ball with no other runners on.

Apr 14, 2022
I have always been curious about this and timing I did some rough math, actual times maybe a bit off but differences should be pretty close.
A throw from left field 150’ to the plate at 60 mph will reach the short (assuming half way) in about .97 seconds at about 5.5’ elevation. At about 95’ (55’) from the plate it will bounce. Flight time to the plate without deducting for hitting the ground is 2.1 seconds. A guess from a baseball paper bouncing would add .2-.3 s. Flight time with a relay will be about .35-.45 seconds faster. This may be enough time for a relay. Cannot find relay times.
If you airmail the first cut possibly hitting second cut. Air time is 2.2 allowing .25 s longer than relay. Do not think that is enough time to relay.
Would be interesting if someone timed actuals.

I think you relay most throws unless outfielders are in, but fly it if it is a tying or winning run late in the game.
Relay may take .1 or so longer but should:
More accurate throw to the plate.
Reduce tag time that might make faster most of the time.
Takes out bad bounces.
Reduce obstruction calls.
Keep other runners from advancing.
But the main thing is assuming short is best player, puts ball in best players hand to make a play
Did not track but our short seemed to throw someone out once in 67-75% of tournaments off relay. Outfield may have 1-2 all season and those were to 2nd or 3rd under 100’.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles