Throwing off the facemask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I admit, that video makes me wanna reconsider :)

That video made it very clear to me that my position on the issue would be unwavering. My young DD seeing the video confirmed that were are on the same page.

Arguments I've heard (from coaches, mostly)...
"The mask makes it harder to see passed balls."
A hockey goalie spends a significant amount of time looking behind him at action behind the net, and moving quickly from one side of the ice to the other. They don't seem to have an issue tracking plays. A hockey-style catcher's mask does not inhibit peripheral vision or head movement. Also, once you've scooped up that passed ball, and you go to make the tag at the plate...well, watch the video again...

"The mask makes is harder to see throws from the fielders".
Why is it harder to see a throw from a fielder than a pitch? It's not. Leave the mask on.

"Pros take their masks off."
Not all of them.
Sliding_Into_Home.jpg

MLB-Home-Plate-Collision-Rule-Change.jpg

(There are LOTS of examples)

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
There can be an occasional problem losing sight of the ball in the dirt under or behind the catcher with the mask on, but I think the answer there is the same as in any other situation where the fielder can't see the ball or the play, the team speaks up.

Dec 19, 2012
In MLB/Minors/College, on high pop-ups the catcher removes the headgear without regard to the headgear they are wearing. Any other time the ball is in play and the ball is live the headgear stays on.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Wow. Oldie but a goodie brought back up. One more vote for leave the mask on. Lots of parents, and some coaches have told my daughter to "lose that mask as soon as the ball is hit." I always told her to ignore them, or politely tell them "my dad says no" and leave it at that. Until someone else is paying for her 4000 dollar teeth, the mask stayed on. Same as the fielders mask when she was in the field. A lot of the teams started letting girls make their own choice around first year of 14u. Luckily my DDs coach insisted in all players wearing them. Outfielders included.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
When we think about keeping our catchers (our children) safe in baseball and softball we most often think about what can happen to them in the heat of the game without their mask during a tag play with someone nearly twice their size bearing down on them cleats and elbows raised high for contact... or a pop fly heading towards the fence what the chain link can do to their face.... Some of the most hazardous situations can occur during practices or pre game warm ups. I know of 3 catchers locally who while shagging throws for the coach who was batting for infield practice that were hit in the head by errant throws. They weren't wearing their masks and their team mates either got confused as to were to throw or the catcher was distracted from the play by another player or coach. One of the catchers suffered a blow to the temple resulting in a concussion.

On November 15 of this year Emily was participating in the pregame pitcher warm up ritual. Emily has always been taught never to remove her mask behind the plate to make a play. Her parents and coach have a clear understanding on this. Emily has been a catcher since she started playing at 2, that's all she has ever wanted to play. She was warming up one of her pitchers without her mask which is something that coaches allow often. Another pitcher and catcher were warming up beside them as well. The other catcher missed the pitch and the ball hit the wall, ricocheted, then hit Emily in the back of the head. She turned her head for just a second to see what hit her, and when she turned back her pitcher's 50+mph pitch collided with her mouth! In this fraction of a second Emily had suffered a fractured maxilla and two displaced teeth in the roof of her mouth along with 16 stitches. There was a fear at one point that the teeth had broken through to her sinus cavity from the impact.

Emily always thought she was too good to warm up with her gear on.... She could react quick enough during a casual warm up. With the help of her surgeon, her teeth were re-positioned, splinted, and hopefully will be fully functional in 6-8 weeks. Parents & coaches, this happens way more frequently than you think. Please insist that your children/players use their protective equipment. All of us think this type of thing can never happen to us... But too often it does. Emily was very fortunate she isn't dealing with a life altering head or facial injury. Emily has had to eat and drink from a syringe for 3 weeks and lost a total of 14lbs. She has since been released and her surgeon was able to save her teeth.
Thanks to Heather S. for sharing about her daughter's injury.

2015-12-21 09.15.14.jpgreceived_10206860296804808.jpgreceived_10206860297524826.jpg

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Ouch! Sending best wishes and a speedy, complete recovery for Emily! Sharing this story with the whole family (DW, DD Pitcher and my DD Catcher) in hopes it will reinforce the message to wear the gear and be aware.

Feb 7, 2013
Question. Has anyone considered the size and color of the ball between baseball and softball (a softball is twice the size of a baseball and a bright optic yellow) and the ability to see a high pop-up, for example, as a difference for taking off the mask in baseball?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Well, DD just did NECC in Sarasota, and Jay Weaver says that there is NO reason that a catcher with a hockey-style mask should EVER remove the mask. Period. End of story.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA