Teaching Hitting and the HIP COIL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is what the hip cock/coil is as described by Williams. Can anyone out there see the back and forth move-counter move of the hips that Williams described back in 1970? Can anyone other than me see how these girls turn their hips backwards before they turn them forward? Despite what the FP hitting gurus say; this is what Ted meant when he said; "You have to go back to go go forward". He meant that you want to turn your hips back against a firm rear leg, before you turn them forward.

xc6j3n.gif

It's clear as day Wellphyt. Some chose to see it, and some don't.

It's basically forward-by-coiling.

Forward, yet back. Loading while coiling forward.

Even golfers make this move. Yes ... it can even be performed without a stride. I posted video from SITD on just this movement. Those that are suggesting that it hasn't been described in sufficient detail aren't looking very hard.

Oct 14, 2008
Take what you want from a vid of a successful swing and try to emulate it. Use common sense in your instruction. What I see is a negative movement passing into a positive one. If its called hip coil so be it. I dont call it that. But hey each to his own.

If you have been successful in your instruction then your kids will show it at the plate. If not then Either as an instructor you have no clue what your talking about Dont know how to teach it, or your belief is flawed. Numbers do not lie.

Im not a pro or con hip coil guy I teach what works for my kids and what I have been successful with. Its kept simple and easy to understand. The coil is the product of the negative leading into the positive move. And the opening of the front door ( front hip ) and the closing of the rear door (rear hip ).

Tim

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
IMO,you all are right and you all are wrong!! I think you guys need to all start posting your students on here and let us see what they do right and what they do wrong.FFS ,Wellphyt ,you guys seem to be in the same camp from what I read,do I think your wrong about what you say? NO NOT AT ALL ,but do I think you are right about everything you say? NO NOT AT ALL,you can learn just as much from those in the other camp. STL, Bouldersdad do I think your right or wrong? NO NOT AT ALL,the part that gets me about you guys is the Howard thing, from what I have seen and heard,he is a real good teacher.But I dont think he knows everything? NO NOT AT ALL.I have seen really good hitters that dont go to him.Iam sorry for what Iam about to say,but Bustos yes was a great hitter,but her pure size alone can make up for a lot of flaws.I still like to look at the normal size girls,that hit with power,like Megan Bush is one good example that my daughter and I look at.POST SOME VIDEO OF YOUR STUDENTS OR DAUGHTERS MORE and LET US DECIDE!!!

Oct 14, 2008
I dont know how close you have been to CB but she isnt that different size wise from your typical 3 to 5 hole at the D1 level. Its not about size its about technique. Maybe at the tb or hs level a bigger girl can get over on the competition due to her size but at the college level size takes back seat to skill. If it diddnt then a bunter slapper wouldent have a higher ba or ob% than her bigger 4 hole counter part.

Jan 25, 2011
Size can make a big difference,if not then why are all the supposed good pitchers tall or big or both?Like I said that I knew that I was going to ruffle some feathers about what I said about CB , it is not meant as a put down , she is and was a awesome hitter.But you can get away with some flaws ,when you have more then normal strenghty.I have seen some really good hitters that have worked with Howard and CB,but also have seen some that are not good hitters, and have seen hitters just as good or better then ones that have worked with Howard & CB and some that are worse.I have seen your videos of your dd she is awesome,but that doesnt mean that there are other girls that are the same as her and learned from someone else.The video thing really isnt meant for you or SL anyways.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
nanotech14,
"POST SOME VIDEO OF YOUR STUDENTS OR DAUGHTERS MORE and LET US DECIDE!!!"
You will get blood from a turnip first!!! It's easy to talk a big game but when it comes down to it some fail miserably. Everyone knows who posts of there students or own DD and who doesn't.

Jan 25, 2011
nanotech14,
"POST SOME VIDEO OF YOUR STUDENTS OR DAUGHTERS MORE and LET US DECIDE!!!"
You will get blood from a turnip first!!! It's easy to talk a big game but when it comes down to it some fail miserably. Everyone knows who posts of there students or own DD and who doesn't.
you dont know how to read do you!!! I was talking about how these guys go back in forth about this and that ,so why dont you quit trying to talk a big game and go back to OFC ,with the good old boys.I by the way am not a Hitting inst. and my dd is on here go look it up and pull your head out of your tin can,Iam just a parent just like most of the people on here just looking for good advice.By the way I did say that SL and Bouldersdad have video on here,boy you Ohio people stick together.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I'll go ahead and commit what to many here, if not most, will consider blasphemy.

I think the hip coil is over-emphasized with young kids. People get obsessed with building a swing "from the ground" up. I feel there is very often, lower, more easily reached "fruit" to grab at when improving a young swing.

Sometimes I even feel people will be obsessed with hip coil because they think it makes them sound like they know what they are talking about, and that it will make their arguments unassailable.

I believe the Science of Hitting has something to do with it. Much of TSoH was written for at the very least a very gifted teen, if not a minor leaguer, trying to become a great hitter.

Yes absolutely hip coil is critical for an advanced swing. It is not critical for a young player. My DD has had outstanding results hitting in TB and we haven't even gotten around to fine-tuning the swing like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00