Take a look at DD ugly Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Both DD and I are aware that this swing needs a lot of work. We are going to attempt to rebuild it from the ground up this Winter. This is our initial starting point. Let me know what you see (Video isn't great). She hardly ever strikes out , but lacks power and has popped up like 8 of last 10 AB this Fall

ARidd 10.21.13 - YouTube

I have watched this several times and I think we will use it as our baseline to start the project. What do you guys think?
http://youtu.be/_qWZT8Uf0co

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I Like it... I see 3 Logos... :cool: When you see the first one all the way around...pull the knee up some, (foot off ground 3"-6") and and have the hands come down closer to the waist line... or "Knob to Knee"...don't let that bat get behind the head...JMHO...Then the next thing I would do is have her start working on (scrolling the front foot) roll over...Next I would have her let go of that bat with right hand @ finish...and keep head down lookin @ Tee... with the head down you got the "Muscle in Mouth" finish...again JMHO.

CS22 - Please ignore this advice. All of it. Seeing the logos on the shoes is not an indicator of a good swing. Having the hands closer to the waistline and "knob to knee" are terrible cues, and not at all what should be happening in a good swing. The hands need to stay above the ball. Front foot rollover? What??

What I'm seeing is primarily an arm-driven swing. The lead elbow collapses leading to a lack of extension through the ball. The lead elbow should come up as the rear elbow comes down. Imagine a triangle formed by elbow-elbow-hands. At the start of the swing, the triangle faces the opposite batters box. In the swing forward, the triangle is rotated to face the pitcher.

I would like to see a little bit more forceful and snappy drive forward by the rear hip against a firm front side with her weight staying back more.

The sequence of events isn't bad, and your DD is clearly athletic and strong. Get the arms and hands dialed in, and the lower body power fine-tuned, and she's going to be a crusher.

Justin Stone isn't a bad place to start.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
You've got a good starting point. Things I see:
Bottom half load isn't bad.
Top half load is too dominant.
Needs to stride; much too narrow at toe touch.
Hips are just opening instead of driving. Hips and hands are not in sync.
Pulling the bat to the ball instead of throwing the barrel. That's probably why she is rolling her hands too soon; resulting in weak hits.

First thing I would do is have her stand in the same position she is now. Place a softball in her hand and have her slowly go through her throwing motion. If she has a good throwing motion have her come to the throwing position load and freeze. Now place a bat in her hands and have her swing.

Also, I'm curious if she is too close to the plate.

A kick stride drill would be a good one to start with—for throwing and hitting. Also, do some over swings with front toss (try to hit harder than she can). At least a bucket a practice.

She has a good foundation so it's not like you have to start over.

Jun 1, 2013
IMO,
She should be hitting the ball further out front for an inside pitch.
The coil is good but she doesn't stride far enough. In fact she loses ground with front foot.
She is generating power in her swing by working against her straightened front leg. Notice how far up she finishes?
She finishes with both legs straightened out. Fix the stride issues and the front leg and she will be able to keep her weight back through the ball and back leg will remain bent.

Jan 24, 2011
IMO,
She should be hitting the ball further out front for an inside pitch.
The coil is good but she doesn't stride far enough. In fact she loses ground with front foot.
She is generating power in her swing by working against her straightened front leg. Notice how far up she finishes?
She finishes with both legs straightened out. Fix the stride issues and the front leg and she will be able to keep her weight back through the ball and back leg will remain bent.

She really isn't working on an inside pitch. It is just her crowding the plate too much as usual. Also , she typically does stride (too high leg kick) , but in this instance we were experimenting with taking out the stride.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Top half load is too dominant.
360x279.gif

Not answering for softballphreak but, what do you see loading first?
9uvpl5.gif

See how Cabrera turns his lead leg in to start the sequence. T.Williams referred to this as 'front knee cock'. I see your DD 'sway' back to start her sequence and load her shoulders first.

Very good comparison clips.

One moves forward, while loading their rear leg ... gathering and storing energy, while being in control of the body, on the way to front foot down ... the swing will have a large timing window in terms of dealing with inside, outside and off-speed. The other swing lacks these characteristics.

Jul 17, 2012
Both DD and I are aware that this swing needs a lot of work. We are going to attempt to rebuild it from the ground up this Winter. This is our initial starting point. Let me know what you see (Video isn't great). She hardly ever strikes out , but lacks power and has popped up like 8 of last 10 AB this Fall

ARidd 10.21.13 - YouTube

I have watched this several times and I think we will use it as our baseline to start the project. What do you guys think?
Justin Stone's Elite Baseball Training Launch Webinar.m4v - YouTube

Thanks for sharing the Justin Stone webinar video. Incredibly informative. I think I'm going to use this video with my DD. I'm having a really hard time getting her to "feel" certain positions she needs to get into throughout the beginning of the sequence. Like your DD, my DD hears the word coil, and she thinks and does exactly what your DD is doing... showing the pitcher her number on her back, which in my opinion is an exageration of the optimal position/movement.

I do have one question about one of the drills....as I have read a lot of "stuff" that discourages the queue of "Bring the knob to the ball". What are the thoughts of the "SME's" on this site?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse