Take a look at DD ugly Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks for sharing the Justin Stone webinar video. Incredibly informative. I think I'm going to use this video with my DD. I'm having a really hard time getting her to "feel" certain positions she needs to get into throughout the beginning of the sequence. Like your DD, my DD hears the word coil, and she thinks and does exactly what your DD is doing... showing the pitcher her number on her back, which in my opinion is an exageration of the optimal position/movement.

I do have one question about one of the drills....as I have read a lot of "stuff" that discourages the queue of "Bring the knob to the ball". What are the thoughts of the "SME's" on this site?

Comes down to how you use the cue. Many girls I work with take cues literally and need to be told where the cue is meant to be applied in the swing. If the cue is used to focus on the 'start' of turning the barrel, then it can be productive ... if the cue is used for the entirety of a 5-frame swing, then it's a bad idea ... but if used at the 'start', with a goal of getting things right in the first 2-frames, then it can be a productive cue.

Like most cues ... it comes down to one's usage. IMO many girls have a tendency to take instruction literally ... so the usage of the cue needs to be well explained.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't like "knob to the ball" cues because it can easily lead to pushing/dragging the knob forward. Like FFS said, a lot of cues get taken very literally - and even exaggerated - with young students.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't like "knob to the ball" cues because it can easily lead to pushing/dragging the knob forward. Like FFS said, a lot of cues get taken vey literally - and even exaggerated - with young students.

I hear you ... but at the same time, a cue's viability comes down to it's application, interpretation, and intent.

I have seen this cue used poorly many times to the detriment of hitters. I have also seen the cue used wisely to the benefit of hitters. Knowledge of the swing helps protect oneself against faulty application of a cue, as well as learn to make better usage of a cue.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I hear you ... but at the same time, a cue's viability comes down to it's application, interpretation, and intent.

I have seen this cue used poorly many times to the detriment of hitters. I have also seen the cue used wisely to the benefit of hitters. Knowledge of the swing helps protect oneself against faulty application of a cue, as well as learn to make better usage of a cue.

Agreed. It comes down the effectiveness of the teacher using the cue in a context that makes sense to the student so the cue is interpreted properly. Without proper guidance, "knob to the ball" can easily lead to movements we don't want to see. Working with a whole team, I tend to prefer cues that aren't so open for misinterpretation.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Fair enough... I guess the concept of drop and drag can still happen if the hitter is given the "knob to the ball" instruction in a vacuum.

Thanks Guys... CS22...we'll have to work with this video for a few weeks and then compare notes :cool:

OK.. I'm going back to the Pitching forum... I can only digest so much of this hitting stuff in one sitting!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
FR ... why use instruction in a vacuum? People should always check their interpretation of a cue against the Hanson Principle.

I think FR's "vacuum" was more about throwing out cues to kids without the backup of instruction and context to go with it.

In my experience, asking my DD's 10U teammates to apply the Hanson Principle to their swing mechanics gets me a lot of blank stares. ;)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
So... What do you guys think of the Justin Stone material I posted for us to use for the beginning of our project?

It is good. I like his new sequential training material better. I am going to work closely to it with my son, probably starting next week. The 40 ft batting cage for my basement is on a fed ex plane right now...and I think ds has settled down enough that we might get 30 minutes in a row of bp! :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
It is good. I like his new sequential training material better. I am going to work closely to it with my son, probably starting next week. The 40 ft batting cage for my basement is on a fed ex plane right now...and I think ds has settled down enough that we might get 30 minutes in a row of bp! :)

Is that material on the 'paid side'?