Take a look at DD ugly Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The field of education has proven that not all kids learn the same way. A teacher must identify a student's learning style and provide differentiated instruction in order to reach them i.e., what works for some doesn't work for all. A good teacher provides differentiated instruction in the classroom everyday to create a productive learning environment for all their students.

In sports like FP, a particular player may thrive under one type of coach yet struggle with another because many coaches don't recognize that one size doesn't fit all or they just can't find a way to reach certain kids i.e., certain cues work for some kids but leave others clueless. Some of the best coaches I've ever seen have worked with special needs students and have learned how to tailor how they teach to effectively reach each student.

As dads or coaches, knowing what to teach can be only half the battle. How to teach it effectively sometimes can be even more challenging.

Good point. The information has been disseminated to Cyclone, the teacher of this hitter. If she has special needs, or needs a specific style of teaching, then he is in a good position to cater to those needs.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The field of education has proven that not all kids learn the same way. A teacher must identify a student's learning style and provide differentiated instruction in order to reach them i.e., what works for some doesn't work for all. A good teacher provides differentiated instruction in the classroom everyday to create a productive learning environment for all their students.

In sports like FP, a particular player may thrive under one type of coach yet struggle with another because many coaches don't recognize that one size doesn't fit all or they just can't find a way to reach certain kids i.e., certain cues work for some kids but leave others clueless. Some of the best coaches I've ever seen have worked with special needs students and have learned how to tailor how they teach to effectively reach each student.

As dads or coaches, knowing what to teach can be only half the battle. How to teach it effectively sometimes can be even more challenging.

YES!!!!!!

Even with our own kids - who we (supposedly) know better than anyone - approaching the same lesson from a dozen different ways is sometimes necessary until you find the right combination of drills/phrases/bribes to connect the dots in their head. Connecting those dots for students that you don't know as well can become a greater challenge.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
YES!!!!!!

Even with our own kids - who we (supposedly) know better than anyone - approaching the same lesson from a dozen different ways is sometimes necessary until you find the right combination of drills/phrases/bribes to connect the dots in their head. Connecting those dots for students that you don't know as well can become a greater challenge.

Honestly, there are many kids that actually learn the material better, and faster, when instructed from a non-parent.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Honestly, there are many kids that actually learn the material better, and faster, when instructed from a non-parent.

Agreed 100%. I've had this discussion many times with other parents, and it's certainly true with my DD. The closer the relationship, the less they listen.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Here's my take of the general "problems" with trying to get information from a message board... And I'm being serious. If you have a kid with a pretty decent swing, and can't figure out what's that little piece of the pie that's missing... you can be VERY successful in getting help here, or any knowledgable message forum. If you're in my boat, and there's not a whole heck of a lot that's right in your kid's swing... it's hard to get the answer here. What's missing in some of the VERY intelligible "how to fix the issue" posts is the 500 words, and descriptive poses you would show the kid if she was standing in front of you. You cant put your hands on that kids hips, to show them the "move" and feel it..and have them reproduce it on their own feel by your guidance. You can't grab the barrell of the bat and show them what it feels like to "turn the barrel." Yeah.. you guys know your stuff... kudos. Though some of us understand it... we fail to understand HOW to TEACH it.

I think .gifs is among the best teachers aids... JMHO I told OP I wouldn't come back, looks like he left it... but couldn't pass...great point FR :cool:

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
FR ... what you are pointing out is the value of seeing a knowledgeable instructor.

A knowledgeable instructor wouldn't let that go. They would give the hitter immediate feedback. They would explain that "coil forward" and "coil rearward" are different. They would explain that the intent isn't to simply capture "coil". They might even explain how this is necessary to capture the SnF action ... i.e., they would give motivation to succeed.

FFS,
I'd consider myself as a newbie with little background on the technical aspects of hitting. I have a DD that just started 12U so I'm still fairly new to softball.

Regarding your comment above:
One of the biggest challenges is finding a knowledgeable instructor. I personally have seen 3 different one's who all say more or less the same, but also say something different. Each time I pay $x which adds up. Some times you figure out they don't know much after 2-3 lessons, even more $$$. Even my friends and I can't agree on a hitting instructor.

One of the reasons to come here is you can try to learn from a diverse group with lots of experience and reading on line doesn't cost money, but it does come at a price of lots of time and sifting through was is right and wrong. For those of us with a lack of technical hitting knowledge this can be very challenging and frustrating.

My recommendation would be if one or a few posters put together a sticky that outlined the sequence in words and gifs of what us newbie's are trying to learn. That would be extremely helpful. I'd suggest the gifs are of DD's or students. Not MLB players.

This way us dad's can read and watch the instructions and then turn and explain to our DD's who can watch the gifs to get it right. I did this the other night with DD I showed her one of the swings here on DFP while we did tee work. You would also have better informed newbies who would post more knowledgeable questions when asking about their DD's swing.

Sorry I added on some extra thoughts.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I tell you what , why don't you just STFU and never post in any of my threads again. I should have to sift through the BS and personal arguments in order to get some help for my DD swing. You always have to have the last word. I am sure you will do it again right after this post. But , I wont have to see it thanks to the ignore function

I use that feature too:D

SL