Stop Squishing the Bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Blazer, Jay -

If you swing in the correct pattern, the rear foot will commonly come up onto the toe. If you swing in a poor pattern, a common symptom can be squishing of the bug. (Often because it is taught!)

Outright teaching to squish the bug will almost ensure poor pattern.

Outright teaching getting onto the big toe will ensure almost nothing with regard to pattern.

When I saw this thread, I buried my face into my hands. Discussion in this format is not beneficial, IMO, at this time. I am writing a book. I am not posting here trying to sell it. I just want kids to have the best chance to be successful and when I see that not happening, I do things like bury my face into my hands.

Saw an awesome quote today that made me smile:
"You can't learn something until you accept you don't know it."

Marcus, perhaps you missed this post?

Jan 12, 2013
Cannonball, Marcus- Thank you for your feedback. The 'cues' and drills are very helpful. Much more helpful than someone telling me that this post makes them bury their head in their hands.

I think a lot of us understand the pattern, and why we do what we do... especially those of us who played softball. Teaching that is a different story... especially to young kids. Just wanted some feedback from other coaches on successful cues, drills etc.

Dec 29, 2010
B60, glad your question was answered. Took 11 pages, but it was answered to your satisifaction. Tweks glad your back. Your are well respected on the boards. I have no agenda, I read everyones info, and sift thru and see what works better than others. Everyones is different. It was your analysis of Puljos clip a couple of years ago that got me thinking of the swing. That 10 min. clip was an aha moment for me. That lead me to the bbf thread that had 200 pages. You vs. the og of all knowing hitting gurus, didnt know them then, but know them now. As you know there are two sides to a story and then the truth. Only question I have for you, before your analysis of Puljos, that aha moment of he doing something different, made u re-evalutate what u knew about the swing, did you have emails,texts,conversations with Rich? I will not ask any follow up questions. Your an asset to the softball/baseball community helping dads and moms and you post a lot of clips of what you believe in. Good luck on your ebook, pm when its out. There is never enough knowlege. Good luck.

Dec 29, 2010
I have been to his site, I know who he is, thanks for the rehash. I am not belittling him in anyway, shape or form. He doesnt need "back up"

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Sorry didn't mean it that way and It wasn't directed at you. I posted it for the many new members who are not aware of who Bobby is, since we seem to have many new members. I agree with your statement He doesn't need " back Up". He is an active poster on many sites DFP, BBD, BBF, and use to post on Hi. He brings knowledge to the table.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
B60, glad your question was answered. Took 11 pages, but it was answered to your satisifaction. Tweks glad your back. Your are well respected on the boards. I have no agenda, I read everyones info, and sift thru and see what works better than others. Everyones is different. It was your analysis of Puljos clip a couple of years ago that got me thinking of the swing. That 10 min. clip was an aha moment for me. That lead me to the bbf thread that had 200 pages. You vs. the og of all knowing hitting gurus, didnt know them then, but know them now. As you know there are two sides to a story and then the truth. Only question I have for you, before your analysis of Puljos, that aha moment of he doing something different, made u re-evalutate what u knew about the swing, did you have emails,texts,conversations with Rich? I will not ask any follow up questions. Your an asset to the softball/baseball community helping dads and moms and you post a lot of clips of what you believe in. Good luck on your ebook, pm when its out. There is never enough knowlege. Good luck.

Short answer, no.

I started seeing things that didn't make sense to me in the summer of 2009. Didn't get to HI until late 2009.

Seeing Pujols made me open to the possibility that there could be more to the swing that I didn't know. Until then, I believed what had always been taught to me was true.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01