Stop Squishing the Bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2013
Cannonball, please read the thread. Find the post I created that was thanked by the OP. That's a start. Very easy to envision drills to correct the issue from there.

Please don't cop out. Please don't sell yourself short. Please don't ask folks to do what you aren't willing to do. Please don't encourage the stealing of a thread for shameless plugs of an ebook. Just some simple requests, which you are free to ignore of course.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Marcus, here are the three posts by the OP:

Here is OP:
I am a firm believer that hitting uses both a linear and rotational motion. I coach girls who were either taught a PURELY rotation swing (squishing the bug, spinning) or they are spinning on their own. They are young players (9-12) but I want to get them swinging with correct mechanics from the start.

Does anyone have any drills to get players to stop the 'squishing the bug' and get them on their toe during contact?

Thanks!

Here is second post by OP:
I don't get it...
Here is the 3rd Quote by OP:
Okay... so what’s the pattern or big picture that I am missing? No, the goal is not to get on the toe. The goal is to correctly transfer weight to generate optimal power.

My question simply is how do you eliminate rotational tendencies. It’s not about the toe... that is just a ‘sign’ that they are doing it correctly. For example... the ‘hitters power drive’ teaches the weight transfer that I am trying to teach. Just was wondering if anyone had ideas/techniques they use with their girls....

Arizona hitting coordinator Alan Cockrell talk about Hitters Power Drive - YouTube

Don't see a mention for you anywhere. Where is your content? Go ahead and give a post number reference. It shouldn't take you that long. This didn't take me that long. Again, what age group does your daughter play? Simple enough question.

Feb 3, 2013
Cannonball, at the bottom of each post is a "Thanks" button. If you read the thread you'll find that there is a post by Marcus that was "thanked" by the OP. The post they thanked is a start towards understanding the issue. From there it is very easy to envision drills that correct the issue. From there one can view some of Sue Enquist's drills on the topic and understand why they work.

The following is a sincere request. Please don't sell yourself short. Please don't ask folks to do what you aren't willing to do. You are capable of contributing significantly to assisting the OP with his question, so consider doing so. Also, please don't continue to encourage the stealing of a thread for shameless plugs of an ebook.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Marcus you are asking of me something you haven't provided. I'll wait to see what you contribute. Don't sell yourself short.

You are right, we are hijacking this thread and so, I'll stop. You don't intend to add content.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Per the OP, when I first started coaching, I coached Charlie Lau's stuff. That is what I taught when I coached in the former Soviet Union. Per that, the result although it seemed that that there were some linear movements that many hitters leaned leaving some hitting over their front legs. Then, Epstein was the next for me. Squish the bug was the norm. As I progressed I found some good stuff in all philosophies but "good stuff" in that they often presented drills/mechanics that I learned to avoid. Hope that makes sense. Hudgens, IMO, had some good stuff and for sure, his use of the term "heel/toe" became a term I used a lot. Note, I think that in my experience, I came to view this differently than Hudgens but can't deny he was important to my development. From there, I used Englishbey's stuff and will always be grateful for that. The idea that one could think of the swing in scientific terms and measurements was vital to my progression. Now to today and per my child as well as the OP.

My dd working on sit to hit concepts and controlling the middle per Englishbey and with some of his drills. Started to get a sense of resistance. For example the pole drill Englishbey uses when done slowly enables one to feel resistance and so, my dd started to get a sense of resistance in the back inner thigh. I don't know if that was an intent of that drill. However, couple that with sit to hit, control the middle, ... she started to realize that there was an action there that was not in conflict with her HS coach's constant admonition that she "stay back." From there, and due to that resistance, she felt that she was doing something different in that back hip. Several posters who are members here an on other sites know via pms of this observation and I have posted this for several years now. Marcus you can check my posting history. It is simple enough. Anyway, a cue that she came to like was hitting through the back hip. It was a kind of Elvis Move on steroids. So, for the OP, you have to develop that resistance and once it is accomplished, the resistance will, in turn, force that back knee/hip etc. to explode in a linear fashion forward while enabling the bat to be controlled in conjunction with the shoulders and back hip. (Clumsy for what I mean) I posted earlier this year that I tried this in golfing and found that I gained roughly 30 yards on my drives along with much better control. In fact, I shot the best round of my life. (1 under par on my home course). So, in an attempt to help the OP, I hope this does help.

Per the insinuation that I am somehow shilling for Bobby's book in some organized plan is ridiculous. I respect Bobby. He and I have had several arguments. That is documented. I think he brings a lot to the table if for no other reason than he has dared to put his thought down in an ebook.

Marcus, now please step up and give some content. Members of this site will be looking to see your response.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Anyway, a cue that she came to like was hitting through the back hip. It was a kind of Elvis Move on steroids. So, for the OP, you have to develop that resistance and once it is accomplished, the resistance will, in turn, force that back knee/hip etc.

Cannonball, I like that cue, "Hit through the back hip." For me, it doesn't conflict with the feeling of stretching the front side while resisting with the back hip. Once that stretch is acquired, "hitting through the back hip" seems to be a good cue for turning the triangle and releasing the bat head through a long zone. I'm going to steal that.

Feb 3, 2013
Marcus you are asking of me something you haven't provided. I'll wait to see what you contribute. Don't sell yourself short.

You are right, we are hijacking this thread and so, I'll stop. You don't intend to add content.

Ummm, but I have contributed, and the OP thanked me for doing so.

Appreciate you giving your input on the topic. That, in my opinion, should be the spirit of these message boards. Much appreciated.

Feb 3, 2013
Tewks, I don’t claim to be a member of a hitting organization, and that includes HI.

Cannonball has made an attempt to help the OP. Perhaps you would follow suit. Maybe give an example of why folks should purchase your ebook.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Tewks, I don’t claim to be a member of a hitting organization, and that includes HI.

Cannonball has made an attempt to help the OP. Perhaps you would follow suit. Maybe give an example of why folks should purchase your ebook.

It's not something you claim. The question is if you a paying member of that website?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207