Stats...who is credited

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I use iScore so it does it all for me. But why would get the catcher get credit for a strike out? I'm really asking, not being snarky. I don't get it.

Mar 26, 2013
I use iScore so it does it all for me. But why would get the catcher get credit for a strike out? I'm really asking, not being snarky. I don't get it.
Pitcher gets credit for a strike out and the catcher gets credit for a put out if they catch it.

Mar 26, 2013
I referenced NCAA Scorekeeping manual:
14.27.2 The official scorer determines whether it is scored as a strikeout-passed ball or strikeout-wild pitch.
No question the pitcher gets a strikeout. I kidded you about being a pitcher's dad since you pinned it as a passed ball on the catcher without the possibility of it being a wild pitch (see 14.27.2).

It's not a passed ball or wild pitch (PB/WP) if the batter-runner doesn't reach 1B safely. If the batter-runner could be retired with ordinary effort and they reach 1B due to a bad throw or missed catch, the B-R reached base on the error instead of PB/WP. If the catcher makes an errant throw that is late or while attempting an extraordinary play and it allows the B-R to advance another base, the B-R reached 1B on PB/WP and 2B on the error.

14.7 Fielder’s Choice
A fielder’s choice is credited in the following situations: ...
14.7.2 To the base runner:
14.7.2.2 When other base runners advance while the catcher makes a play on the batter on a dropped third strike.

14.22 No Error Is Charged
No error is charged to a fielder in the following situations: ...
14.22.13 When a base runner advances on a dropped third strike. In such a case, a wild pitch or passed ball shall be charged; however, if an accurate throw or proper catch would have resulted in an out, an error shall be charged to the appropriate player.

14.28 Wild Pitch
A wild pitch is charged to a pitcher when the pitch is so high, wide or low that the catcher cannot handle the ball with ordinary effort and at least one base runner advances. Any pitch in the dirt is wild. Only one wild pitch is recorded regardless of the number of base runners who advance or the number of bases advanced. A third strike not handled by the catcher because it was wild, when the batter reaches first base safely, is scored as both a wild pitch and a strikeout. No wild pitch is charged if a base runner stealing on the pitch advances only one base. A wild pitch is not an error.

14.29 Passed Ball
A passed ball is charged to the catcher when she fails to stop or control a pitch with ordinary effort and at least one base runner advances. Only one passed ball is recorded regardless of the number of base runners who advance or the number of bases advanced. A third strike not handled by the catcher that could have been handled with ordinary effort, when the batter reaches first base safely, is scored as both a passed ball and a strikeout. No passed ball is charged if a base runner stealing on the pitch advances only one base. A passed ball is not an error.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just out of curiosity why do even care? It's probably the most meaningless stat you can find.

Somebody needs to stick up for catchers. Too many scorer's out there charging catchers with PBs just because they know WPs affect a pitcher's ERA.

FWIW - NCAA scorekeeping guidelines state that any ball that bounces in the dirt and results in a non-stealing runner advancing is, by definition, a WP.

Jun 11, 2013
OK green monster I'll give you that. Cather's fielding percentage is another kind of meaningless stat IMHO. They can block 30 balls with no credit and get dinged on a pitcher crossing them up and getting it charged a PB.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
OK green monster I'll give you that. Cather's fielding percentage is another kind of meaningless stat IMHO. They can block 30 balls with no credit and get dinged on a pitcher crossing them up and getting it charged a PB.

The lack of a good metric is one of the reason's that many coaches don't recognize (let alone appreciate) the difference between an average defensive catcher and an outstanding defensive catcher. Not talking just TB or HS coaches....

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
SoCal_Dad,

My bad, I wrote hastily. You are correct, my post was wrong and did not discuss the WP scenario in a D3K. Definitely could've mislead folks who were ignorant to the rule. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA