Rankings--

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My message to the Anonymous parent. Get used to it. It will happen in HS and College as well.

https://extrainningsoftball.com/to-...eo-hopes-you-will-read-this-its-just-for-you/

DD got 2nd Team All Conference for her position this season. Here are the batting statistics comparison with the player who got 1st Team All Conference. DD actually had 7 HR's. 2 of them didn't b/c the game was not finished. My DD even beat her in K's! LOL. BTW, I complained last year too! DD's stats were better in 2022.

Head scratcher.

1692996975076.png
1st Team
1692996916362.png
2nd Team
1692996951692.png

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Eh, I don’t get worked up about athletic accolades in college. The teams who win the conference and have the better records tend to get more players in All-Conference slots - same as HS, even if other players have better stats.

A doctor my dd interned with told her this (doc was a 4 year varsity lacrosse player for a D1 program) - your future employer or grad school is not going to ask you if you were an All-Conference or All-American player, nor what your batting average was or how many people you struck out. What will impress them is that you played on a college team for 4 years (even if you weren’t a starter). You made Dean’s List almost every semester. You carried a 3.5+ GPA as a science major while playing your sport). You had strong internships every summer since freshman year. You had strong volunteer experiences.

This doctor went on to say that being on a sports team in college for 4 years is what made her stand out as an applicant for med school. They knew because of her commitment to the team and being able to keep up with her school work that she could handle the rigor of a med school education. This doctor is now an award-winning plastic surgeon.

I think she helped dd to open her eyes and see the bigger picture. Yeah, the accolades are nice, but it is your commitment to the team and your academics that will help shape your future.

Ok - sorry, completely went off on a tangent - but that is also for the parents like “Anonymous Parent.” The rankings truly won’t be the end all, be all for your kid in life!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Eh, I don’t get worked up about athletic accolades in college. The teams who win the conference and have the better records tend to get more players in All-Conference slots - same as HS, even if other players have better stats.

A doctor my dd interned with told her this (doc was a 4 year varsity lacrosse player for a D1 program) - your future employer or grad school is not going to ask you if you were an All-Conference or All-American player. What will impress them is that you played on a college team for 4 years (even if you weren’t a starter). You made Dean’s List almost every semester. You carried a 3.5+ GPA as a science major while playing your sport). You had strong internships every summer since freshman year. You had strong volunteer experiences.

This doctor went on to say that being on a sports team in college for 4 years is what made her stand out as an applicant for med school. They knew because of her commitment to the team and being able to keep up with her school work that she could handle the rigor of a med school education. This doctor is now an award-winning plastic surgeon.

I think she helped dd to open her eyes and see the bigger picture. Yeah, the accolades are nice, but it is your commitment to the team and your academics that will help shape your future.

Ok - sorry, completely went off on a tangent - but that is also for the parents like “Anonymous Parent.” The rankings truly won’t be the end all, be all for your kid in life!
This is precisely why I didn't complain at the time. Ya know the old 24 hour rule. At the time DD had a job landed and was getting ready to start. DD's CFO has a DD playing D1 softball in NC and I am not sure that had anything to do with her landing her internship last summer but every now and then she would go into his office and chat about softball.

The link just got me thinking...get used to it. Your kid will be slighted in one way or another along the way.

Jun 18, 2023
I mean, those are some valid points ,but you don't get to be all "life's tough, grow from it" when you're the one that screwed up. Not that forgives any of the reaction, but save me the sob story about hugging my kids and life is unfair.

Jun 18, 2023
Can I say it since I didn’t screw up?

yes.

I'm still at the lower levels of all this and I imagine it's still a long shot that we'll be worrying about rankings and scholarships in 5 years, but I've never found ranking systems to be much use without heavy amounts of grains of salt. How can something be "incorrect" that's so heavily subjective?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414