Role of the front leg in hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Fair enough - I guess then you have to ask yourself if you practice the kid in red's swing enough what would you be left with? Do you believe that game conditions would change what you practice? Would a kid that takes a lot of swings squishing the bug then not do it in a game?

Butter,
I know you mean well also but, one is a game swing the other is a practice/drill swing. One hitter is swinging at a real ball the other hitter at a wiffle ball. I believe also the ball is at a different location and speed.
SnapStopSwing2_zpsa0088565.gif

Is that the 'spinning' thing again? The hitter in red doing a drill swing is also 'squishing the bug' as you see it?

May 3, 2014
I was using the squishing as an example. My point is still that the hitter in red is using just the rear leg and that is why the belt line is not dropping and just turning. Did you try and do both hitters moves? Can you post a clip of someone else like Cabrera or Ortiz or Pedroia ans we can compare the belt lines? This is about using the front leg.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I like what I was just reading what Hyp said from several years ago, "fight like hell to maintain the rear hip coil."
Bonds5_zpsc1fe7cff.gif

I hit with my daughter a couple hours ago, and after about 5 minutes that was pretty much the theme of the session. She was pulling out her rear hip coil some with her front leg reach out. The rear hip coil is anchored to the ground. Reaching out with the front leg doesn't pull on the rear hip, the front leg is not anchored to anything at this phase….reaching out relaxes the rear hip coil instead of fighting to maintain it and release it on the ball.

It didn't work well working on coil on a hard dusty field with tennis shoes on….the hip coil leaked out the bottom.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
That sounds like a solid plan. It sounds like something I would say to one of my hitters - keep the rear knee back as the front leg opens. Does your duaghters belt line drop or does her belt line rotate? It is a tough thing to get a hitter to not rotate off the ball.

I like what I was just reading what Hyp said from several years ago, "fight like hell to maintain the rear hip coil."
Bonds5_zpsc1fe7cff.gif

I hit with my daughter a couple hours ago, and after about 5 minutes that was pretty much the theme of the session. She was pulling out her rear hip coil some with her front leg reach out. The rear hip coil is anchored to the ground. Reaching out with the front leg doesn't pull on the rear hip, the front leg is not anchored to anything at this phase….reaching out relaxes the rear hip coil instead of fighting to maintain it and release it on the ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
That sounds like a solid plan. It sounds like something I would say to one of my hitters - keep the rear knee back as the front leg opens. Does your duaghters belt line drop or does her belt line rotate? It is a tough thing to get a hitter to not rotate off the ball.

She does not have a big visual rotation to her swing…sort of like Thome.
thome5.png

Unless told, she hits everything center to oppo. Hate brag posts, but no one would believe her BA, TB and high school combined, if I said it….so that is the last I mention anything about it. If it sticks and she signs college, I will tell this year's #

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Scap-rear hip/"SCIP" axis and spatially early force application to turn barrel.

emphasis needs to be on rear side pullbacks, front side action reactive

rear hip socket rag wring,overlap, low back, pull

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Scap-rear hip/"SCIP" axis and spatially early force application to turn barrel.

emphasis needs to be on rear side pullbacks, front side action reactive

rear hip socket rag wring,overlap, low back, pull
All fabricated and protected, thus the cameo... Even Chippers own words can't budge that dogma. They know more about hitting than the HOF'er! LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild