Reverse Hand Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
I will not post my students without permission. I volunteer myself doing the drill. Another progression is doing it from one leg, as the video shows toward the end. Click on the bigger image to play the video. You should be able to go frame-by-frame from right there. (Sorry the sound is off... happens when I edit section of video out in Quicktime Pro.)

DiscussFastpitch.com - A.B. Athletic Development, LLC

Tewksy,

thanks for the video! Did you have the AHA moment like the others? You have been Clock Work Oranged go to the nearest brain washing rehab center ? I have to say it made me laugh my Lil'E VIP rear off. :cool::cool: No for real you look like you can flat out crush.:cool::confused:

LIL'E VIP

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The key word is never hit a riseball. Then you are in trouble teaching this swing in softball. Take a look at Bustos's swing and that is what we teach. She can hit a riseball at any time for a HR. Good luck. Keep in mind pitching is different in softball. Watch the Finch Video's of her striking out baseball players and the comments after they faced her. I think hitting caoches have to be aware of pitching in softball if you are teaching females.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
The video of you showing us a better way to invest our time.

I am at a complete loss of words after watching it

Straightleg

I am not pushing or pulling to the point of contact with my arms/shoulders. I am keeping my hands inside the ball and driving my rear hip. Driving the rear hip open the shoulders. Have you tried it yet to see what it feels like? Please try it and let me/us know what you feel.

You say the reverse grip is to teach extension. I say extension is not relevant (and a poor investment of coaching time) because it is after the point of contact. And if everything to contact is good, getting the arms extended will occur pretty naturally - the barrel will pull the arms. Either way, it isn't the arms powering the barrel through contact... which is push/pull, exactly what the reverse grip drill teaches.

Can you please explain what extension is, according to what you teach?

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Many of you post on this site to gain more insight in how to help your daughters grow in learning the sport of playing softball as many of your daughters just started playing or came possibly from a recreational league and are looking for ways to improve her skills or for you to learn how to help her in some way become better and play at a higher level. You may be a coach looking for help on how to do different drills that will have a huge impact on developing their skills. People often will join in and share willingly what they know in an attempt to pay back for what they may have learned from others who helped them along the way.

There are those that in my opinion only want to disprove or discredit others just to cast doubt or put in your mind that they are wrong or not as correct and again add little to increasing your knowledge of how to teach or coach and or how to make a difference when working with the kids.

I see this especially when it comes to teaching girls as most male coaches do not understand the differences as to balance, strength and ACL’s issues, sliding and throwing and think one size fits all and then when it comes to the simple things like leverage and how to get the kids to understand it, some coaches will say they should have already known that! How for example how to use a $7 dollar hammer verses a $300 dollar bat. The axe is not a hammer and the wrist is used differently. Then a coach says they should already know that. Yes there are differences in the male and female body, as to balance, ACL issues, hamstring strength, upper body strength and most importantly the lack of knowledge of how to shift their weight or jump, land and cut properly without getting hurt or injured and how they gather their momentum.

Baseball has many sites and the discussion can and has become heated and the opinions of a few become the theme of that site and sides are taken and soon the learning process stops and someone’s opinions become the topic of conversation and the kids, parents and coaches and the sharing of information is soon forgotten in an attempt to discredit another persons view point or method.

I know a female standing on one leg trying to swing a bat will make them more prone to injury and a certified trainer would never allow that for a girl. I know comparing injuries of boy’s baseball knee injuries verses same knee injury on girls is 3% on boy’s verses 31% for girls having the same injury. Why and you tell me? Because there are differences and if you know why some drills and techniques make no sense and are age dependent and factor in the people you are working with and the learning disability kids and those that are dyslexic. Having worked with both boys and girls, the girls seem to have these circumstances prevail in their sport more than baseball for some reason so it is a factor for me on how we teach and what we teach so we communicate, with the visual learner, the audio visual learner and the kinesthetic learner and the kid that other coaches thought was just too stupid to learn and should take up soccer!

I think the discussion boards are a way of team learning and you may not agree however when a drill is suggested and the kid, parent, coach tries the drill and they see the result you begin to wonder why someone would go through all the trouble to discredit it based on who gave the message or if it is a baseball issue or just a softball issue? What is the agenda?

If the hand over drill does not work for your daughter try something else and we are talking about drills we use for your daughter are we not?

Thanks Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I copied a few paragraphs to hopefully see where I thought the dialogue was going and possibly where do you think it is heading and then you figure out why it has taken the course it has?

From the book titled, The 5th Discipline

“When teams are truly learning, not only are they producing extraordinary results but the individual members are growing more rapidly than could have occurred otherwise.
The discipline of team learning starts with "dialogue," the capacity of members of a team to suspend assumptions and enter into a genuine "thinking together." To the Greeks dia-logos meant a free-flowing of meaning through a group, allowing the group to discover insights not attainable individually. Interestingly, the practice of dialogue has been preserved in many "primitive" cultures, such as that of the American Indian, but it has been almost completely lost to modern society.

Today, the principles and practices of dialogue are being rediscovered and put into a contemporary context. (Dialogue differs from the more common "discussion," which has its roots with "percussion" and "concussion," literally a heaving of ideas back and forth in a winner takes- all competition.) The discipline of dialogue also involves learning how to recognize the patterns of interaction in teams that undermine learning. The patterns of defensiveness are often deeply engrained in how a team operates. If unrecognized, they undermine learning. If recognized and surfaced creatively, they can actually accelerate learning.

A discipline is a developmental path for acquiring certain skills or competencies. As with any discipline, from playing the piano to electrical engineering, some people have an innate "gift," but anyone can develop proficiency through practice.”

Are we truly helping each other learn or by trying something discussed to see if it makes a difference for them, understanding possibly their lack of knowledge of the process and progression of the sequence being used to get them to see it, feel it and fix it?

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Well said hitter! When will you be back near Ok/Kan/Ark area? By the time I found out you were going to be in the area a while back I only had an hour to get there. I do not want that to happen again.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Well said hitter! When will you be back near Ok/Kan/Ark area? By the time I found out you were going to be in the area a while back I only had an hour to get there. I do not want that to happen again.

We have bee going to Evangel for 5 years now and it is usually in January about the third or fourth week. Coach Breaux does have some camps he and his staff do also.

Coach Larabee at Arkansas does an excellent job with his hitting camps also and we have worked together for about three years.

Thanks Howard

Feb 14, 2010
I for one like the input from every angle. Just because something is new and different doesn't make it wrong just as something being old doesn't mean that it wasn't right then and now. The human body is constantly changing and adapting. Nobody can tell me that Bustos isn't freakishly strong and that she can do things that most woman aren't able to. I love all these videos and new drills because you just never know what might work for a particular kid and if people quit posting them how are we as parents and coaches going to help them.

Tewks has become a lightning rod on here because he thinks differently than most on here but I can tell you he gave me a drill for my daughter Brooke to do in order to fix her back elbow flying. We did it last night and the difference in just one night is amazing. We are going to continue to do this and gradually add new elements to it as she progresses and hopefully I will have some great feedback for everyone on here.

Let's not the forget the reason we are ALL on here and that's to help our own children and others. I love coming here and just absorbing people views and beliefs. If it happens to go against what I feel I still respect their opinion because I know how much work they've put in to get to that point. I'm a newbie compared to almost everyone on here but I do love the art of hitting and I'm going to be the best coach that I can be because I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know it all. For everyone on here PLEASE DON'T QUIT POSTING YOUR VIDEOS OR IDEAS FOR FEAR OF BEING PERSECUTED BECAUSE YOUR DRILL MIGHT WORK FOR THAT ONE KID AND THAT'S WORTH IT IN ITSELF.

Thanks Troy Rozier

Nov 18, 2009
I am one of the people on here just trying to pick up some tips and drills to try with my daughters to improve their ability to play softball.

The site seems to have degraded recently and it had started before I first saw Tewks posting, into a lets tear down this drill you just posted.

I don't see why it can't be just; here is the drill. Here is why we think it works. Here what we hope to accomplish with it. If you like it use it, if you disagree don't do it.

I have stopping reading many sites because it turned into what I fear this one is becoming.

Just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors