Swing adjustments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

What are your thoughts on this adjustment to a change up? It was high which helps to make an adjustment. It’s not a HR, but hit well. My view is the swing must shift the weight. You’re adjusting the spirals, the launch position. Sitting into the legs. If you’re using momentum shifting and then swinging, you can’t adjust the time before the start of the adjustment. See how the hands and barrel want to start, but she tries to hold and keep engaged in the scap/back.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

What are your thoughts on this adjustment to a change up? It was high which helps to make an adjustment. It’s not a HR, but hit well. My view is the swing must shift the weight. You’re adjusting the spirals, the launch position. Sitting into the legs. If you’re using momentum shifting and then swinging, you can’t adjust the time before the start of the adjustment. See how the hands and barrel want to start, but she tries to hold and keep engaged in the scap/back.

For me it’s more about where the weight remains. She wouldn’t be able to hit that pitch if her upper body was forward. The sit wouldn’t stop the bleeding upper body etc etc.

Momentum is in every swing gravity guarantees that.

Aug 20, 2017

DD a year ago. As @Work=wins said she keeps the upper from bleeding. If you swing with your shoulders and arms you will struggle with change ups. Recognize it early and delay launch, pause a tic. Arms/shoulder swingers are longer to the ball so they have to commit early to not get beat by velocity. Bad recipe for adjustments

Aug 20, 2017
I think you adjust better if you launch from the rear leg. Whether that means two legged or one legged I don’t know. Launching from the rear leg is shorter and quicker. Helps the ability to allow ball to get deeper before launch. I think as Shawn mentioned the swing is the shift. Let the legs help the stretch (and timing) and keep the upper resisting.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I think you adjust better if you launch from the rear leg. Whether that means two legged or one legged I don’t know. Launching from the rear leg is shorter and quicker. Helps the ability to allow ball to get deeper before launch. I think as Shawn mentioned the swing is the shift. Let the legs help the stretch (and timing) and keep the upper resisting.

Swing is the shift is slow and long. Shifting the COM before launch is where its at while maintaining the rear leg hip relationship.

This is what happens if waiting for the shift to occur during the swing (You get stuck).

225CMpo.gif

Oct 25, 2009

DD a year ago. As @Work=wins said she keeps the upper from bleeding. If you swing with your shoulders and arms you will struggle with change ups. Recognize it early and delay launch, pause a tic. Arms/shoulder swingers are longer to the ball so they have to commit early to not get beat by velocity. Bad recipe for adjustments

That’s what I think of as hands are the last to move.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Has anybody entertained the idea of hitting like this as a two strike approach. Basically get the front foot down, keep hands back and wait. I have DD hit like this as a drill in order to keep head still and avoid leaking forward. She hits well this way and loses only a little power. Maybe 2 or 3 mph exit velo.

Aug 20, 2017
Let me rephrase. The “feel” of the swing is the shift seems to me to be more adjustable, shorter/quicker. FYB. If you are forward yet back, what’s forward and what’s back? Weights forward (COM) and hands are back? When my DD shifts COM forward before launch, her bat path is more down and across. Also causes her to be too early and make contact too far out front. Will hit it a foot in front of front foot and it will result in pop out oppo. Just stretch until launch and the feet and COM take care of themselves. Don’t launch forward, launch backwards. It’s quicker!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles