Swing adjustments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Has anybody entertained the idea of hitting like this as a two strike approach. Basically get the front foot down, keep hands back and wait. I have DD hit like this as a drill in order to keep head still and avoid leaking forward. She hits well this way and loses only a little power. Maybe 2 or 3 mph exit velo.
I know some coaches that do this religiously. I don’t like it personally. Keep the intent to do damage. My DD has hit the majority of her home runs with 2 strikes. The leak forward IMO is due to either being rushed or not completing the stretch. But I have seen a few hitters have some success with this approach.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Swing is the shift is slow and long. Shifting the COM before launch is where its at while maintaining the rear leg hip relationship.

This is what happens if waiting for the shift to occur during the swing (You get stuck).

225CMpo.gif

It’s as if I’ve never seen someone get beat. 😂

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The swing is the shift, because of the sling shot. The stretch is maintained. The swing is therefore the shift. As Pete Rose said in his book, you hit off the back leg because of the curve. You have adjustability.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Swing is the shift is slow and long. Shifting the COM before launch is where it’s at while maintaining the rear leg hip relationship.

This is what happens if waiting for the shift to occur during the swing (You get stuck).

225CMpo.gif

It’s a timing thing first and foremost. A timing of that mass for sure. The weight is rotating also. I don’t think some understand that. That early leverage helps give that slingshot feel. I don’t know how TM doesn’t feel that.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Can’t sit into the swing/legs unless your swing shifts the weight.

It's why AJ had to make the changes. If you're not shifting (anticipating) your COM to get leverage your beat. Impossible to turn on a ball (inside/out only).

46WEbKQ.gif

225CMpo.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Let me rephrase. The “feel” of the swing is the shift seems to me to be more adjustable, shorter/quicker. FYB. If you are forward yet back, what’s forward and what’s back? Weights forward (COM) and hands are back? When my DD shifts COM forward before launch, her bat path is more down and across. Also causes her to be too early and make contact too far out front. Will hit it a foot in front of front foot and it will result in pop out oppo. Just stretch until launch and the feet and COM take care of themselves. Don’t launch forward, launch backwards. It’s quicker!

FYB

ZnUvc2p.jpg

May 17, 2023
Has anybody entertained the idea of hitting like this as a two strike approach. Basically get the front foot down, keep hands back and wait. I have DD hit like this as a drill in order to keep head still and avoid leaking forward. She hits well this way and loses only a little power. Maybe 2 or 3 mph exit velo.

Jenna Laird (from Mizzou) actually tried to hit this way in all counts this year. Their hitting coach came from OSU and saw an interview he did early in the season explaining how he thought she could hit for much higher average. Basically resulted in no power.

I'm not sure where along the way she abandoned it, but by SEC tournament it appeared she was back to normal.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Swing is the shift is slow and long. Shifting the COM before launch is where its at while maintaining the rear leg hip relationship.

225CMpo.gif

That is just a poor swing. Has nothing do with how to swing. Not a good example of anything really when you think about it. Obviously there is no launch position. No stretch. No snap. Simple beat.

Watch the girl adjust from the launch position and into swing flexion. I should have saved that adjustment from Florida State, I posted her long swing time before. Their catcher. She adjusted the swing time to make it even longer. Ugly swing. She still hit a HR.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles