Outfield Depth Perception

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
Take their gloves away from them. Tell them not to try to catch it but to have it land in front of them. Once their goal changes, they will adjust their approach.

I call this one the bomb drill. Their challenge is to see who can get the ball to land the closest to their throwing side leg without it hitting. If nothing else, it helps them determine on a basic level where they need to position themselves on a routine fly ball.

Jan 25, 2022
Another thing I do (which is what I do playing OF in slow pitch) is tell them to make their first move to the left or right. There's no depth perception required to judge which side the ball is coming to them on. The lateral move gives their eyes time to adjust to the depth just the same as when the normally would be instructed to take their first step back, and they're getting an early jump on the ball at the same time.

Regardless of how we approach it, I've never actually seen a kid take any of this advice without launching them perfect fly balls from the pitching machine. I just get a kid to operate it (MS/HS age), then stand out there with the group and instruct. The machine is also very helpful in teaching newer ones where to position themselves.

Oct 26, 2019
I call this one the bomb drill. Their challenge is to see who can get the ball to land the closest to their throwing side leg without it hitting. If nothing else, it helps them determine on a basic level where they need to position themselves on a routine fly ball.
I like this except for the throwing side leg part. I would rather young kids center the ball more. If you are doing g this drill then you are working on the catch not the throw and the glove works better centered or on the left side of the body.

May 13, 2023
Can have them throw their own fly balls to run and catch.
Start small.
Build height and distance.
Mega reps in a short time can be achieved because every player can individually be doing the drill at the same time.

* gives the executive thinking brain opportunity to learn coordinating distance and speed with glove and footwork.

Jan 25, 2022
I like this except for the throwing side leg part. I would rather young kids center the ball more. If you are doing g this drill then you are working on the catch not the throw and the glove works better centered or on the left side of the body.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I teach them to catch the ball over their throwing side shoulder because 90% of them are scared to death to get hit in the face (even while wearing a mask). In our very small-town program, we have middle and high school players showing up brand new to the game every season. With some of them we only have four weeks to team them to throw/catch/hit/defend/rules, etc, and a few usually are in the starting lineup.

This year we'll have a first-year junior in LF and a second-year senior in CF. We've had some really good players that start late. Two seasons ago our #1 pitcher was a senior in her first season. The most decorated basketball player in school history, and had a knack for getting the ball over the plate that was sorely needed at the time. Our all-time leader in hits and homeruns (and showstopper defender) was a cheerleader who started softball in the 10th grade. Over the shoulder is the quickest way I've found to get them comfortable with the ball heading at them, and I haven't had anyone learn that way who didn't get comfortable with the rest on their own pretty quickly. Great athletes adjust.

Once they're comfortable with the glove they'll come at it from different angles. If I don't give them that "safe" position, every one of them tries to side step and catch on the glove side with their arm fully extended, and that's a really hard habit to break.

That's just the position we've been in the past few years as we rebuild. A lot of my time was with the MS players, and it was a similar situation. Little League is very small here so we beg and borrow and try to get creative. Every season we get better. Maybe one day we'll have studs on the bench to replace the ones on the field. : )

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...we have middle and high school players showing up brand new to the game every season. With some of them we only have four weeks to team them to throw/catch/hit/defend/rules, etc,...
...first-year junior in LF and a second-year senior in CF. ... our #1 pitcher was a senior in her first season. ... was a cheerleader who started softball in the 10th grade.
Sounds like you've been making quite a bit of lemonade over the years. 🍋

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Never did this before but I like the players to compete and communicate with each other.

Maybe put 2 or 3 players in the same area of the OF and hit balls to them. They should learn from each other.

Jan 1, 2024
I stumbled across this by accident when coaching a 10u team. We were throwing fly balls with a pitching machine and did one practice where we had the players concentrate on catching the ball on one bounce. It worked pretty well on improving tracking.
GREAT idea!

Jan 25, 2022
Sounds like you've been making quite a bit of lemonade over the years. 🍋

I coached MS for a couple years, but just help with HS in the offseason, and do my daughter's pitching instruction. It's all been a fun ride. I have the whole thing chronicled in the parent section here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles