Rec Parents!!! Need I say more???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
We are one week away from the end of our season, and she still hasn't improved. She is constantly 20-30 mins late for pre-game warmups. She has missed more practices than the rest of the team combined. Grant it, some were due to a death in the family, but others were not. I try to tell her what to do, and she looks at me like I'm an idiot. My older daughter is a catcher, and she has tried also. She won't make the corrections, and she won't hustle.

Then you have done what you can. Get through your last week and make a mental note of the family name so you don't draft any kids from their family again. Sometimes you can't reach them.

Oct 22, 2009
Good times, my husband once had a parent try to beat him up in the middle of a game because he moved his kid from 2nd to 3rd, because the 3rd baseman couldn't make the throw to 1st, but the 2nd basemen could.

This was like 10yr old boys and the dad was acting like their were major league scouts in the stands that needed to see his kid play second and my husband was ruining his major league career by having him on 3rd.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The only thing worse are the 10u TB parents. They feel since they're paying a bunch of money more than what they would be paying in their local rec league it gives them the right to be even more vocal to/about the coaching and where/how much their kid should play.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The only thing worse are the first time 10u TB parents. They feel since they're paying a bunch of money more than what they would be paying in their local rec league it gives them the right to be even more vocal to/about the coaching and where/how much their kid should play.

fixed it for ya...lets be fair...some of us do improve with time...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The only thing worse are the 10u TB parents. They feel since they're paying a bunch of money more than what they would be paying in their local rec league it gives them the right to be even more vocal to/about the coaching and where/how much their kid should play.

Hmmm...maybe I'm doing it wrong. I had a discussion with the HC about these issues BEFORE committing to the team. I asked lots of questions and got the answers I wanted to hear.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I've have the opposite problem. Have 3 girls that have the ability to catch (real young 10u Rec.). 1 is by far the best pitcher. The other 2 don't really want to catch. Both of their parents have told me they don't like their daughter catching. 1 flat out said her couldn't catch.

Guess who is upset after 3 games because her daughter hasn't pitched yet?

Dec 27, 2014
Mom may be frustrated for 1000 different reasons and just wants her DD to shine because she knows how bad her DD needs something to go right for her. Be that thing that goes right.
I don't know what it is about rec softball, but I have had a lot of this in the whopping four seasons DD has done rec SB.
You could add up all the basketball, soccer and gymnastics teams she has been on and barely get a handful of kids that were pushed into the sport because their parents wanted them to do SOMETHING. Yet in a game where kids are throwing a hard obect 45 miles per hour at their face they push them into it without the needed work ethic or basic knack for the sport.

Jan 25, 2011
I don't know what it is about rec softball, but I have had a lot of this in the whopping four seasons DD has done rec SB.
You could add up all the basketball, soccer and gymnastics teams she has been on and barely get a handful of kids that were pushed into the sport because their parents wanted them to do SOMETHING. Yet in a game where kids are throwing a hard obect 45 miles per hour at their face they push them into it without the needed work ethic or basic knack for the sport.
Sounds like the HS team my dd would be playing for if she played HS softball.

Aug 12, 2014
Tell them them all that you will gladly speak with them the day after any games by phone or text

Never get into texting with a parent about something like this, even after a 24 hour cool down. There is too much of a chance for a miscommunication.

I completely agree with the rest of the post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi