Rec Parents!!! Need I say more???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
Columbus, GA
We are one week away from the end of our season, and she still hasn't improved. She is constantly 20-30 mins late for pre-game warmups. She has missed more practices than the rest of the team combined. Grant it, some were due to a death in the family, but others were not. I try to tell her what to do, and she looks at me like I'm an idiot. My older daughter is a catcher, and she has tried also. She won't make the corrections, and she won't hustle.

Not being ugly towards the young lady and her mom, nor being wise towards you OP, but read your rule book ... there are procedures for dealing with such matters.

I will say, as a coach, you MUST do all you can do to help a player - too often, coaches assume the players know "how to play the position." More often than not, this NOT the case. A coach should be able to observe whether or not this is true in literally just a few minutes of observation. Once you have given a player instruction, you can then coach that instruction.

As late in the season as you are, understandably, "now" is not the time for what I have stated - and dealing with her being tardy; is it in her control? Most likely not and that, most likely, exposes the real issue.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
i would tell parents and players both that the coach, not players/parents decides who plays what positions. Coach will listen to requests, but not be limited to them. If there is a position you daughter is not willing (or you are not willing to have her play), then she should not be playing the sport. simple as that. not fair to sentence one player to catch entire year because other girls or their parents refuse the position. On hot days, i do not want any player catching the entire game at 10U level, no matter how much you ell them, your catcher ends up being the one not to get a drink because they are rushing so much to get gear on and off. A lot of my decision on who catches each inning is based on who is on base/on deck from our previous at bat. If one of my catchers scores or gets out, I pretty much immediately tell them to get the gear on. faster turnarounds, and umps this year are not letting adults warm up the pitcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi