Player safety when injured

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
Second, I hope at some point we get over the "I'm too old to wear a mask" BS, or worse, "My kid is too good, and would never mis-play a ball" (which I have heard). If you play the infield, wear a mask.
A couple years ago we were at a college prospect camp and the coaches told the girls that the only people that wear masks are those that don't trust their skills 😳

Aug 9, 2021
So, this topic relates to something which occurred during a HS game today. I want to know how everyone feels about being at their daughter's games, and what would you do if she got injured.

Today's game saw our 3B take a wicked hop off the dirt to the face. The girl dropped to the ground writhing in obvious pain and bleeding profusely from her nose. The umpires stopped the game while our coaches tended to the injured player, and we waited for the athletic trainer to arrive from a different school in the district. It took the AT 15 minutes to arrive from their middle school, so the home team had no real first aid abilities until he arrived.

Because it was an away game, neither parent was there, so they finally got a hold of the father, but it took him 40 minutes to arrive. Once he got there, he rushed her to the hospital for X-rays, which showed a broken nose and possibly broken orbital.

My question to the group is A) would you let your daughter play a HS or MS game without a parent or guardian there after seeing how incompetent the coaches and trainers were? B) what is the protocol near you?

Sadly, our district lost a football player 10 years ago due to an injury sustained on the field at an away game. Neither parent was there, and he passed before they could get there to say good-bye.
A) it is unusual for one of us parents to not be there and there is usually someone else present with medical training (e.g. athletic trainer or nurse/doctor parent), so I would likely let DD play.
B) most HS have athletic trainers present at the school during events. TB is hit or miss and no real protocol. At football games I've seen locally almost always have an ambulance on site during the games.

I try to carry a small medical kit with me during TB. Mask is worn any time DD is in the circle or playing infield.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My kid plays D2 and I watched an opposing pitcher throwing 65mph dominate the game until the very last batter, who promptly sent a line drive to her head. The pitcher deflected the ball with her throwing hand into her face. Luckily, she was wearing a mask. She did not continue, but didn't have to go to the hospital either.

Apr 1, 2017
As a group, posters here are likely more hard-core about attending games. My work schedule allowed it, so I went to every game my daughter played last year. However, for away games, I would guess about half of the team, maybe slightly less, had no parents at the games. It's just not practical for most, even if they would like to attend.

As far as trainers/medical on-site, our high school has people available during times that contests are being held. Often multiple games/sports being played at same time on campus. Specific to softball though, the field is "off campus" at one of the middle schools. So if coach has to call them, it's likely at least 10 minutes before they would arrive.

For travel, our org had no requirements that coaches had training. Maybe a parent did, but that was just dumb luck... The bigger tournaments we played might have had some sort of medical on-site, but you'd be lucky to find an ice pack or band-aid at most of the smaller/local ones. One thing I learned to do early on, was put together a first-aid/supply box with whatever might come up. Wouldn't do much good with a broken bone type injury, but it handled all the smaller stuff. The tackle/tool boxes I used for it got bigger every season, but it was nice knowing I could handle just about anything that popped up (again, not something requiring ER visits). I was amazed at how many teams we played that didn't seem to have anything when they showed up to play.

May 29, 2015
The first question is why does any parent allow their player to play third base without a mask? The second question is why do NFHS and/or state associations not make masks manditory for positions F1, F3, and F5? Our state requires coaches to wear hard hats when in the coaches boxes, yet leaves face protection optional for the three fielders who are closest to the bat. No, we shouldn't seek to bubble wrap all of our athletes, but common sense personal protection where the risk is high should be a no-brainer!

No answer to the first.

To the second: Quick answer, because there is no safety standard for fielder’s masks. NFHS is not going to REQUIRE a piece of safety equipment that does not have a uniform standard.

More in depth answer: because NOCSAE’s standards are about concussion prevention, which a mask is not sufficient for. (Also why the mask-helmet combo are no longer legal for catchers.)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So, it turned out she didn't have a concussion, which is a good thing, but the swelling is still so bad they can't do any repairs yet. She now has two black eyes, also.

Jan 31, 2011
I coach HS ball. I care about my kids. I go through NFHS required CPR/First Aid training. I have a coaching authorization license through the State of Iowa. It's tough to make mediacal decisions as a coach, but we have ice packs in our med kit and I have a phone that can dial 9-1-1 if there is no trainer on site. Not sure why your situation was handled poorly. Not all coaches are idiots.

Last season, a kid of mine took a shot to the head on a bunt coverage throw. I immediately pulled her from the game and insisted her folks take her to the ER. I was folowing concussion protocol as taught by the NFHS. If neither parent would have been there, my wife would have taken her to the ER. When in doubt, sit them out. When in doubt about anyting else, call 9-1-1 and let the professionals do their job.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I go through NFHS required CPR/First Aid training.

I had to take emergency first aid training when I camped on a deserted barrier island in Florida with the Scouts. We had a great two day class and I learned a lot. Never did I think I would put my training to use. Long story short, pumped life back into a co-worker who knocked over at his desk one afternoon (before we could find and employ the AED). Glad I paid attention. Good knowledge to have, for sure.