Player safety when injured

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2024
The first question is why does any parent allow their player to play third base without a mask? The second question is why do NFHS and/or state associations not make masks manditory for positions F1, F3, and F5? Our state requires coaches to wear hard hats when in the coaches boxes, yet leaves face protection optional for the three fielders who are closest to the bat. No, we shouldn't seek to bubble wrap all of our athletes, but common sense personal protection where the risk is high should be a no-brainer!

Jan 20, 2023
Yikes! We have a nurse parent on our team that handles most injuries and also does the book and is always there.

In this situation it should have been an immediate call to 911 imo.

It’s not reasonable to expect a parent to be there at all games. Scary to think there are not better protocols in place.

Feb 24, 2022
It's unfortunate that it takes an injury to highlight how unprepared most teams are or the gap in their policies. When a child had a head, face, neck, or obvious broken bone the EMS should be called first. Second, I hope at some point we get over the "I'm too old to wear a mask" BS, or worse, "My kid is too good, and would never mis-play a ball" (which I have heard). If you play the infield, wear a mask.

All of that said, I hope she ok and makes a full recovery.

Jun 18, 2023
really I think all kids, baseball and softball, should probably be wearing facemasks. Practice too. It doesn't take much, especially at practice, multiple balls? Someone calls your name, or you think they did, and you turn just as someone throws a ball at your face?

Hell, maybe coaches too. Umpire and catcher are wearing masks, but you're standing behind them in a 10u rec game helping speed it along by throwing the ball back, updating gamechanger between pitches, lulled by the walk fest and suddenly batter fouls one back? Your nose is getting busted too.

Feb 24, 2022
really I think all kids, baseball and softball, should probably be wearing facemasks. Practice too. It doesn't take much, especially at practice, multiple balls? Someone calls your name, or you think they did, and you turn just as someone throws a ball at your face?

Hell, maybe coaches too. Umpire and catcher are wearing masks, but you're standing behind them in a 10u rec game helping speed it along by throwing the ball back, updating gamechanger between pitches, lulled by the walk fest and suddenly batter fouls one back? Your nose is getting busted too.
I agree, it's def a fear when my 12yr old son pitches. I wish masks were acceptable in baseball.

Wasn't it a Clemson coach that got hit in the head with a foul ball in the dugout recently?

Feb 16, 2024
One of our AC took a foul ball to her elbow in the dugout last season. She was taken to the clinic, x-rayed, broken elbow, splinted and made the next game. USA Softball accident policy paid the bill.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We had an incident about ten years ago where a baseball coach died on the field after being hit with a line drive while pitching batting practice. Apparently, he was behind an L Screen, but the ball somehow still hit him. That was one of the things that prompted the rule that coaches had to wear helmets on the field.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Yikes! We have a nurse parent on our team that handles most injuries and also does the book and is always there.

In this situation it should have been an immediate call to 911 imo.

It’s not reasonable to expect a parent to be there at all games. Scary to think there are not better protocols in place.
Just my experience, but pretty much all the games I've been to there's been at least one, if not three or four medically trained parents who step in to help with an injury. Apparently LE's game didn't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619