Pitching question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
No, you will have a hip pointer from your elbow and whip that is late..you want I/R to BE OCCURRING at brush...you do not want to start the I/R at brush...

Elbow to hip is a recipe for being TOO FAR inside the ball, having bullet spin, and losing some velocity.

I'm interested in the answer to the original question...also what can you do with hips popping out instead of rotating...I have been told both ways as well...hips rotate after release...hips before release...rotate being around 35-50 degrees...I would love some input on the hips popping rearward to clear a lane for the ball...I have worked this for a while

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is somewhere in between, of course the hips can and should contribute power through a torque move, but the idea of SLAMMING THE DOOR with the hips that is so common is a death sentence. Look at slo motion video of the best and note the hip action. around 45 degrees open is a good place to be at release, enough so the hips have had enough room to torque into the pitch but not enough to kill adduction and I/R.

This^^^^^^

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
JAD I don't see how before or after release can be IN BETWEEN....Its either before or after.

This videoi s the best I've seen and I just found it! This helps me a ton!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD I don't see how before or after release can be IN BETWEEN....Its either before or after.

In my mind there are three choices for hip/core rotation - before, during, or after release....and my vote is during. Does a batter rotate their hip/core before, during, or after the swing? The problem with just saying "after" is that some pitchers rotate too late to generate any power and are throwing with just their arms - you see a lot of this at 10U/12U. By 14U pitchers who do not generate any power with their hips/core are playing REC ball or have given up pitching.

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
In my mind there are three choices for hip/core rotation - before, during, or after release....and my vote is during. Does a batter rotate their hip/core before, during, or after the swing? The problem with just saying "after" is that some pitchers rotate too late to generate any power and are throwing with just their arms - you see a lot of this at 10U/12U. By 14U pitchers who do not generate any power with their hips/core are playing REC ball or have given up pitching.

A batter initiates the swing with the hips...So before! But we could also argue when the swing starts.

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
Here is yet another view on the hips. Rich is advocating landing at a 45 degree angle,Yet another variance!

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I would love some input on the hips popping rearward to clear a lane for the ball...I have worked this for a while

This is a problem for my dd as well. I believe Amy's dd also did this. Any input/suggestions on how to improve this. Is it purely a posture issue or a rush to get open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet