Pitching Mask and College

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Where do people get the idea the ball is coming off a fastpitch bat at over 100 mph?

The end goal is to elicit and emotional response and it sounds much scarier to say over 100mph than the actual 70-80mph. To the uninformed 100mph sounds reasonable and if you go with a gazillion mph, well then everyone knows that you full of crap and making it up.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
Did someone say "Radar Grampa"!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n2OBD6rNQ60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Quote Originally Posted by riseball View Post
Sounds much more like hyperbole than real world experience. Have a hard time believing any coach would be that short sighted. But then again I am sure they are out there.

Do you think it is a bit awkward as a coach while recruiting a player, that she is in the backseat while Dad is in front
bombarding the coach with questions, this is not a great scenario for a potential recruit. As a coach, I am recruiting
a young adult who needs to be comfortable and accountable once she is on campus. Having done the recruiting circuit
and meeting dozens of college coaches, the trip is all about the player. Coaches prefer to have time with recruit
to get to know her, parents have plenty of opportunity to have their questions addressed at the end of the visit.
Official visits are designed for the player to visit campus by herself as she expresses her individuality when her
parent is at the hotel

Jun 12, 2015
It's not just sports and it's not new. I was 17 when I started college. I had a job, paid my bills, ya know, was as grown up as a 17 year old can be. I remember being blown away by the number of my peers who still had their mommies calling financial aid for them, or registering them for their classes. Even then I thought it was pretty sad.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Do you think it is a bit awkward as a coach while recruiting a player, that she is in the backseat while Dad is in front
bombarding the coach with questions, this is not a great scenario for a potential recruit. As a coach, I am recruiting
a young adult who needs to be comfortable and accountable once she is on campus. Having done the recruiting circuit
and meeting dozens of college coaches, the trip is all about the player. Coaches prefer to have time with recruit
to get to know her, parents have plenty of opportunity to have their questions addressed at the end of the visit.
Official visits are designed for the player to visit campus by herself as she expresses her individuality when her
parent is at the hotel

I agree. What I was referring to as hyperbole was the statement about rescinding the offer based on the single action of a parent. Not to mention that the sequence of events is totally out of place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad