Infield Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Reaction time on a screamer line drive directly at P and directly at CF are vastly different, 35 feet after stride and follow through lets say for HS P vs 140 feet say for typical to shallow CF, that is 4x the Rx time for CF. not even taking into account ball leaving bat with same velocity will be moving significantly faster at 35 feet than it will at 140 feet (air resistance slows ball), so damage will be greater in case of a ball hitting the player closer.
Right, but take a HS pitcher who’s highly skilled, with a good glove and a younger C level OF and reaction time is a non factor. I’d say the OF is at equal or greater risk of taking one to the face.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Bad hops happen in the outfield too.
Or fielder to fielder collision.

At practice players often do both infield and outfield.
Plus throwing warm up drills.

They are light weight fit well.

Imagine liability will catch up with this.

May 6, 2015
Right, but take a HS pitcher who’s highly skilled, with a good glove and a younger C level OF and reaction time is a non factor. I’d say the OF is at equal or greater risk of taking one to the face.
but loss of velocity is, ball is going considerably faster (ie impact has more force) when it hits 35 feet rather than 140 feet or more.

would you have all players wear catchers gear? distance (whether it be for more RX time, velocity, whatever reason) has always been a determining factor in what protective gear players wear. would you have QBs wear same gear as OL?

Feb 1, 2021
At practice players often do both infield and outfield.
Plus throwing warm up drills.
I actually took a baseball to the face during warmups as a kid. Broke the bridge of my nose. I was 13 or 14 at the time. The funny thing is I was warming up with my partner for a good 5 minutes before I got hit. From what I can remember, (because it was a long time ago, not because of a head injury) I just completely spaced out for a few seconds. That's all I can think of. Partner said I was looking right at him when it him me. Just looked past the ball I guess. It happens,... apparently.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I actually took a baseball to the face during warmups as a kid. Broke the bridge of my nose. I was 13 or 14 at the time. The funny thing is I was warming up with my partner for a good 5 minutes before I got hit. From what I can remember, (because it was a long time ago, not because of a head injury) I just completely spaced out for a few seconds. That's all I can think of. Partner said I was looking right at him when it him me. Just looked past the ball I guess. It happens,... apparently.

DD does this occasionally when we’re warming up at home for pitching practice. We just play catch for 10-15 minutes to get her loose. A lot of just chatting while we throw. Everyone once in awhile I can tell she picks the ball up super late. Despite her looking right at me as I was throwing.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Can recall people saying
You play the toughest position back there
as a catcher
lots of possible injuries.

My response
I play the position that has the most protection!

Jul 5, 2016

Paige Lowary

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Can remember this hitting student I had who came to a lesson one day and said
i chipped an outfielders tooth.
She said had hit a deep Fly ball to the fence and just as it was at the fence fielder must have took her eye off it and it tipped off her glove and hit her in the mouth.
Then she said ...well it's really not my fault she missed the ball.

May 6, 2015
Can remember this hitting student I had who came to a lesson one day and said
i chipped an outfielders tooth.
She said had hit a deep Fly ball to the fence and just as it was at the fence fielder must have took her eye off it and it tipped off her glove and hit her in the mouth.
Then she said ...well it's really not my fault she missed the ball.
yes, any hit ball is a chance for injury to a fielder, but the argument for face masks for P, 3B, IF is really the possiblity of severe injury much higher for a P or 3B playing up the line, simply because they are closer to the initial point of contact, less reaction time, and ball moving considerably faster than any ball hit that gets through to OF (and that OF got a glove on it, which probably reduced the severity of the injury, might not have if they had about 0.25s to react after completing their motion).

chipped tooth (or black eye, bruise, even broken nose), while not being ideal, is a far cry from orbital fractures, broken jaw, completely lost or broken off teeth, not to mention possible vision issues, and of course brain trauma possible when someone is standing 35 feet from a ball coming off the bat at 80 mph

Oct 4, 2018
Just Saturday, two pitchers got hit in the facemask by hard line drives -- in a small 4 team tourney. Called 911 for one of them it was so brutal.

One of the balls was caught by the center fielder for an out. How crazy is that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414