Infield Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2020
At some age, is it expected by travel coaches and college coaches that infielders will stop wearing masks? If so, what age?

Also, was wondering if mask usage is more regional, almost universal in the northeast for infielders 14U and under but saw less of them when we went south for tournaments.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
TBH if a coach told my kid they couldn't wear a mask again I'd be angry. I think it's up to the player to decide their comfort level. I actually love to see college pitchers wearing them. I hate that it's not a rule in HS softball. In Rec it's a rule up to 18U for pitchers. I'm not too sure about travel rules - but I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher in travel not wearing a mask. We're in the south.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Hockey goalies USED to not wear mask and hockey players didn't wear helmets. What happened. Evolve, get smarter and wear a mask. This idea that if you wear a mask its because you are not very good or a mask is a crutch or player is afraid of the ball, not very tough, blah blah blah is stupid talk. Old school, stick in the mud, Neanderthal thinking. Wear a mask! Plastic surgery is expensive.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hockey goalies USED to not wear mask and hockey players didn't wear helmets. What happened. Evolve, get smarter and wear a mask. This idea that if you wear a mask its because you are not very good or a mask is a crutch or player is afraid of the ball, not very tough, blah blah blah is stupid talk. Old school, stick in the mud, Neanderthal thinking. Wear a mask! Plastic surgery is expensive.
Back in the day...
Eventho boys bb had helmets
Girls fastpitch didnt.
Facing pitchers who could crow hop and leap starting from 40 feet.

Even in college
didnt wear helmets while bb did
Until junior year regionals. 1986.

Fielding Mask saves your face.
Like seat belts.
Rather have it and not need it,
Then need it and not have it.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've seen enough to conclude that pitchers who don't wear masks are idiots. Third basemen aren't far behind. All it takes is one miss to really mess up your day or career. Plenty of very good college players are wearing them now, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a prominent college coach expressing anything but support for players who make that choice. Consequently, lower level coaches have zero say about what a kid wears (within the rules) to protect themselves, and I've personally not heard of one ever expressing a negative opinion. I think it's a dead issue.

Apr 26, 2019
TBH if a coach told my kid they couldn't wear a mask again I'd be angry. I think it's up to the player to decide their comfort level. I actually love to see college pitchers wearing them. I hate that it's not a rule in HS softball. In Rec it's a rule up to 18U for pitchers. I'm not too sure about travel rules - but I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher in travel not wearing a mask. We're in the south.
I saw a pitcher at a 10U tournament in Virginia a couple of years ago pitch without a mask. The team was based out of Southern Maryland.

May 6, 2015
and eyes are priceless! (ie irreplaceable)

Aug 18, 2018
There's no rules on fielders face masks. Agree with the sentiment to wear at P, 3B, 1B; ss/2b I can see not wearing as girls age up and midway through 12u my DD ditched the fielder mask for OF.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I've seen enough to conclude that pitchers who don't wear masks are idiots. Third basemen aren't far behind. All it takes is one miss to really mess up your day or career. Plenty of very good college players are wearing them now, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a prominent college coach expressing anything but support for players who make that choice. Consequently, lower level coaches have zero say about what a kid wears (within the rules) to protect themselves, and I've personally not heard of one ever expressing a negative opinion. I think it's a dead issue.
It is not a dead issue. There are Orgs. that discourage mask for infielders with comments like, "why are you wearing that mask, what, are you afraid of the ball, it is not like you're going to be winning a beauty contest any time soon."
There are still plenty of dumb people out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00