Pitching Mask and College

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...Male machoism keeps the protective cages off of the batting helmets in the college and professional leagues in baseball. Luckily, college softball and the women's softball NPF don't have to deal with the stereotypical male machoisms. The protective face mask is part of the TB, HS and college softball game...

So why do you think players go without the mask on the batting helmet in college? To your point, with the exception of ISF players all grew up wearing a mask on their batting helmet. Yet many ditch it as soon as they can.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The bottom line is that there are many many many more TB players than there are spots on a college roster. If you are one of the best players out there, you will get recruited, mask or no mask. If you are not, then you will not get recruited, mask or no mask. I think too many focus on the mask itself as the reason some players are "overlooked", and not the actual talent of the player. If you throw 65, hit your spots, and have nasty movement pitches, you can wear a mask and get recruited. If you are throwing fat 50 mph fastballs down the middle, not only will you not be recruited, but you should wear the mask because you are in danger of being hurt badly. If you want to wear the mask, wear it and don't worry what other coaches/players do or think. It is not worth the time amount of angst spent on the topic since most youth softball players (with or without a mask) are not going to play college ball.

Oct 18, 2009
2 out of 3 of our Pitchers on our Travel Ball team have decided that they don't want to wear face masks anymore. The reason is, they feel that college coaches will not take them seriously and think that they are poor fielders if they wear a face mask. Apparently they have this notion in their heads that coaches will strike them off the "list" if they wear a mask. My dd is on the fence. She wants to continue wearing one but fears that she'll get passed over if she wears one. Has anyone's dd (who wears a face mask) been recruited to play college ball? Thanks in advance.

While there will be that occasional exception. Nowadays recruitment will happen based on skill. Not based on a mask. If the pitcher has the goods most coaches won't care about a mask. I know this from more than a few coaches I have spoken to. If your DD is comfortable in a mask just let her wear it.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Email college coaches and ask their opinions directly. Don't guess what they think.

Just what a college coach needs his/her mailbox filled with is questions from prying parents.
Parents who interfere are frowned upon by coaches. After all, who is going to be on the field at the
prospective college? DD or daddy/mommy? I am close with a D1 coach who rescinds offers from students
who come on a visit with a parent and the parent hops into the front seat of the car for the ride over to
the fields. THE FRONT SEAT IS FOR THE RECRUIT DAD! Zip your lip and ride in the back. (rant over)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Just what a college coach needs his/her mailbox filled with is questions from prying parents.
Parents who interfere are frowned upon by coaches. After all, who is going to be on the field at the
prospective college? DD or daddy/mommy? I am close with a D1 coach who rescinds offers from students
who come on a visit with a parent and the parent hops into the front seat of the car for the ride over to
the fields. THE FRONT SEAT IS FOR THE RECRUIT DAD! Zip your lip and ride in the back. (rant over)

Sounds much more like hyperbole than real world experience. Have a hard time believing any coach would be that short sighted. But then again I am sure they are out there.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sounds much more like hyperbole than real world experience. Have a hard time believing any coach would be that short sighted. But then again I am sure they are out there.

No doubt, but just as certain is that some of those parents are out there too! I think most coaches are focused on recruiting players to help the team and keep their job and just want to make sure that the parent won't be a hindrance. Really, once a package is delivered, who wants the mailman/UPS/FEDX delivery person hanging around to offer advice and opinions?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles