Infield Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2020
Not sure if this was posted before but it is my first time seeing it. Thought it was very interesting

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2021
I for one can say I am grateful that masks have to be worn. My DD is 1st year 12U and was nervous about pitching her first game at that level. she was doing well and in the 4th inning she took a hard hit one hopper square in the face mask. She is fine, shook her up a little, she said to me after the game she will never argue with me again about having to wear a mask even when practicing.

Sep 28, 2020
NJ
12u all infielders were required mask on our teams but in OF it was optional. 14u I required corner IFs to wear masks. Middle was optional but highly encouraged.

Aug 23, 2016
The biggest problem with masks that I've seen is when the ball takes a bad hop and the player gets scared and turns their head. DD's coach is really good about reminding the girls that the mask works when you take the ball right to the face, but it doesn't work so well when you take the ball to the exposed side of your neck or your ear. He's frequently reminding them that if they're going to wear a mask, they need to let it do its job.

Aug 23, 2016
Outfielder got crushed at one we were at. Hit the lip between IF and OF. She had no chance.

Around here a lot of the fields are really dry and the dirt blows away in the wind, so that lip turns into a ramp and those balls can really fly.

Jun 27, 2021
At some age, is it expected by travel coaches and college coaches that infielders will stop wearing masks? If so, what age?

Also, was wondering if mask usage is more regional, almost universal in the northeast for infielders 14U and under but saw less of them when we went south for tournaments.
Not sure expected. But if a coach urges a kid to not wear one or belittles one for not wearing one then I'd look for another coach/team including college team. Until PGF/USA/Triple Crown get on board and make it mandatory for infielders from 8U-18U then you'll have this issue as well as girls getting one to the face. As bats get hotter and girls get stronger it is only a matter of time before a girls life is changed forever or lost. Mine has since 6U worn one and will in college at a pitcher. She has never asked to not wear it in the circle.

Jun 20, 2015
the problem with making mask mandatory is that there is no uniform standard for testing for any infield mask, and therefore there is a liability issue if any coach / org / league makes them mandatory.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad