PGF pulls all cf9's from tourney in CA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
5ebb587567ed3d72f336a5ff30e6e3ed.png

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Well we were there today and I saw cf9s with stickers so it's not all bats.

As for bracket play, we left NJ to play a team from NJ. So far I'm not a fan of the format and wil be voting not to come back. CO is a much better value.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I think PGF wants their own stamp on the bats. The Demarinis pass compression testing at 1300 PSI. If my DD's passed their test at 1400 I would want a new bat. The 1400 standard fro all non linear bats is garbage since the non linear bats are all over the place compression wise. Besides just because a bat has low compression doesn't mean it is any hotter than anything else. Remember the old Rocketechs?

Even the old CF5 -11's are still on the NCAA approved bat list so that means they have not failed random tests at one of the thousands of games played in college softball each year. Give Demarini a chance to make a few phone calls and I would bet this wont be an issue in the future. I am sure PGF would like to have the company that probably has the majority of the bat market wrapped up on their side. Remember they own LS now also.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
As for bracket play, we left NJ to play a team from NJ. So far I'm not a fan of the format and wil be voting not to come back. CO is a much better value.

I can understand that concern for the 'warmup' games, but in bracket play for a national championship (very different from a showcase), there is no choice but to have a blind draw, IMO. The goal is to determine a national champion in the fairest way possible, not to give teams a fresh new set of opponents. Let's imagine the 3 best teams are from Texas. If I'm another Texas team, and you set up a rule about states, then I'm assured of not drawing one of the best 3 teams in the first round. I don't deserve that advantage. Plus, how do you set the boundaries? Newark is closer to Philadelphia than Houston is to El Paso. Much more trouble than it's worth to accommodate all that, IMO.

Oct 10, 2011
Jan 24, 2010
I can understand that concern for the 'warmup' games, but in bracket play for a national championship (very different from a showcase), there is no choice but to have a blind draw, IMO. The goal is to determine a national champion in the fairest way possible, not to give teams a fresh new set of opponents. Let's imagine the 3 best teams are from Texas. If I'm another Texas team, and you set up a rule about states, then I'm assured of not drawing one of the best 3 teams in the first round. I don't deserve that advantage. Plus, how do you set the boundaries? Newark is closer to Philadelphia than Houston is to El Paso. Much more trouble than it's worth to accommodate all that, IMO.

I have to disagree here - the 2 times that we went to ASA Nationals the pool games were used for the bracket games and there was regional "protection" the first game (possibly the second game too? Can't recall that). So we didn't play a team from Georgia (or our region) the first game either year. It's been about 5 years since we've been, so this may have changed since then - but that's how it was when we went.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Why not just have pool play determine the seeding like Utrip did for the road to Orlando? Just asking. We played mostly Utrip this year and I liked that every game had meaning and not just a scrimmage.

As for the bat deal, I was hoping someone would say PGF wised up and retested or at least rethought about the process of bat testing. As mentioned, Wilson/LS/DeMarini are all tied together. (I thought maybe they were trying to squeeze a little money from Dimarini to get the bats approved.)

Personally, I would be pretty pissed off if we were there. DD has 4 demarinis in her bag. Cf5-11, cf5-10, cf8-11 and now a cf9-11. (She uses the cf8-11 currently, just her choice) Looking at that pic, I think the cf5-10 might have been the only one that would pass. And on top of that, if you re playing a team who has a cf5, 8, or 9 that passed and yours didn't, wouldn't you be a little frustrated ??

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

I know U-Trip does it by their defined regions and states. We have never seen an in-state team in pool play and I have never seen it at U-Trip. As long as there is a good cross section of teams and there are plenty of teams playing - it isn't all that hard.

Once it hits bracket time and you get past round one, the number of teams who probably shouldn't be there gets really small, really fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06