Mizzou vs UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Whatever side you stand on the topic of protective masks … pro, con, neutral or indifferent … there seems to be some acknowledgement of the high exit speeds being achieved.

To follow on with Crankermo’s comments, BBCOR bats are used in college and HS baseball.

The BBCOR rating measures the trampoline effect and the limit was set just above that of a wood bat.

In softball the infielders are usually closer to the batter. Yet we see action taken place in baseball years ahead of softball. Why is that?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
"Fools and their money are soon parted" ~Salmon

Foolish.... only if you don't know how to train for it..... :cool:

How game like is this training that you recommend? Are you physically firing line-drives at your daughter's head as she completes a pitch approximately 37ft away? Have you put a radar gun on the line-drives to confirm that they are exiting the barrel at near maximum exit speeds? How many such line-drives do you fire at your daughter during such a practice session? How frequent are these practice sessions? Interested in the details of this training you perform.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Cool.... I thought I covered this Topic fully. Post #41

Regardless of which side your on, there is no manufacturer that can pass the test.

My .gif was the end result of her training.... I'm not saying that the ball CameBack as fast as TF faced, but to the same side. Thus Hopefully making it Helpful...DD is pitching from 40' though.
Her reaction training showed the sheath with her instant pursuit of the runner on base.

In the link to You-Tube... in the description... I gave the answer. Zip-Line

Cut it to 35' & send them back @ her. To stop the ball from busting your knuckles, you just have to hold them apart, and it will stop the ball from impacting the handles.
The training is to get her hold them apart 11/5.... hand covering face....

Question for you ??? How much faster would you guess that D-1 comebacker was to DD's ?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
No, you didn’t cover the training you recommend in that post. What we see is a 1Ber backing up to play at the depth of the 2Ber. Is this the training you are speaking of … having the 1Ber back up? p.s.Didn't see your zip-line training exercise.

I meant I put "Skilz Zip Line" in the description on the U-Tube Video.... What is... 1&2 Ber ???

The Science Behind Cutting to 35'... so it would fit in the house.

The exercise is just the reverse of that video... me batting it back to her.... harder & Harder

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
PC, I'm not seeing this training you are performing that prepares pitchers for events like this here ......

finucane_zpsxdwdn95h.gif

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As my DD has told me the best defense on a comebacker is not throwing it fat in the first place. Failing that when you know it is going fat you better have your glove up. If all else fails a mask is certainly not a bad idea. I would submit that if peer or coaching pressure is keeping a player from wearing a mask when they have the desire to do so, they are facing much greater threats than a ball coming back at them.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I meant I put "Skilz Zip Line" in the description on the U-Tube Video.... What is... 1&2 Ber ???

The Science Behind Cutting to 35'... so it would fit in the house.

The exercise is just the reverse of that video... me batting it back to her.... harder & Harder

PC, I think you are fooling yourself if you believe you are training your daughter for events like this here.

finucane_zpsxdwdn95h.gif

Yes, I frequently see a pitcher make a protective catch. Had a pitcher do this last week ... she was proud of her "cat-like" reflexes ... her description. Honestly, she had no idea how she made the catch ..... it was a pure 'reaction'.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC, I'm not seeing this training you are performing that prepares pitchers for events like this here ......

finucane_zpsxdwdn95h.gif

Then You must not be seeing the video of my DD... yesterday Post#41. She is a righthander too... @ 40'...

Training #1.... throwing a drop, that brakes two planes.... non the less, it came back.

That UCLA hitter didn't get ahold of it, plus looks like it hit the very end of sweet spot... looks like she has a slimair reflx sheath as this video...watch pitcher.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mCXT204snFM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Your not going to answer my Question are You.... Why not make a side by side of my DD @ TF ???

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
At the risk of repeating myself over again and I do apologize because I'm sure some of you are bored with my posts, I watched my dd get hit twice in the face as a freshman in HS. Both were ugly and both required trips to the hospital. IMO, wearing a mask is a personal choice and up to parents and player. IN NO WAY CAN A PERSON PRACTICE FOR THIS! What one might do in practice wrt this is what is on their mind during that drill. It is not the same in a game and at game speed. It is the difference in a fraction of a second between touching the ball with a glove and getting hit square in the face. PC, you didn't think that young lady from UCLA hit a shot?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321