Mizzou vs UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It was certainly unfortunate but lets keep this in perspective. A tragedy is typically used to describe an event requiring a tombstone.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
So much for the argument "if you're well-trained you will get your glove up in time." Hope she isn't hurt to seriously.

I wonder if she will wear a mask going forward, or figure it's unlikely lightning will strike twice?

That's a fool's agrument! Unfortunately, there are a lot of fools out there!

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Can't tell you how many times I've seen a ball smoked and barely miss a pitcher

Happened in game two of the BR Super Regional. Walljasper had a line drive smoked right back at her.
Thankfully, it was a little to the left of her head. She ducked, but would have been too late to miss it if the ball had been hit right back to her.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Gotta disagree with you here PC. Train all you want.
Will it help? Maybe so. Will you avoid all circumstances with training? No - afraid not.

Yep !!! I agree w/you too. But when you let her get sent to the Circle.... You have to know that you have done EVERYTHING possible.... Including Prayer :cool:

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I wish that those who want to wear them could without ridicule and those who don't want to wear them don't have to.

Take the pressure from the coaches out of it.

Jun 18, 2010
IMO the video strengthens the idea that proper training can prevent serious injury.

Proper training is a good idea, and it can prevent serious injury, but things happen and it's not a guarantee it will prevent serious injury.

It also appears she turns her head before the ball arrives. If so, it would have either missed the mask or pushed it aside without absorbing the impact.... The masks on the market today would have done little to no good if indeed she was hit in the side of the head.

the mask probably wouldn't of helped much if any in this situation.

Here are two of the most popular models.
Screen%20Shot%202015-05-25%20at%208.06.45%20AM_zpsrztndcyu.png
Screen%20Shot%202015-05-25%20at%208.10.32%20AM_zps7xroo5kq.png

Looking at the above photos, and reading what was said by the Missouri coach:
Earleywine said she had a lump over her left eye and a swollen cheekbone. She was bleeding from the nose when she left the game.
...it looks to me like there is enough coverage around and on the side of the face that some protection would have been offered.

when they aren't designed to prevent catastrophic injury and there's no safety standards to assure they'll all work as expected.

A mask isn't designed to prevent catastrophic injury? IMO that is exactly what it is designed to do. No, there may not be any safety standards, but I'd be surprised if the manufacturers haven't product tested to a significant extent.

I'm not for mandating mask usage either, but don't try to diminish their effectiveness with weak straw-man arguments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1