Mizzou vs UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
with each instance if a pitcher being hit in the face the evidence builds for a nice fat lawsuit. Now that it happened on national TV in a playoff setting the NCAA will have to at least consider its exposure to a lawsuit. Maybe they take some action with bats/balls/masks/strike zone, maybe they don't but with each incident the case grows. Kind of like a Vegas Jackpot. Eventually the right pitcher is going to sustain the right injury and a big payout will force some thing to change. I personally would rather see the solution on the bat/ball/zone side to make it safer for pitchers but the truth is that right now when a pitcher takes the circle they are at greater risk of a more serious injury than any other player on the field.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
riseball, your DD may be the exception, but....

1. I've watched a lot of D1 softball this year, and I am not seeing the legendary pin-point accuracy of the elite D1 pitchers. Countless times I've seen balls hitting the dirt 6' in front of the plate. I've seen balls thrown 10' over the catcher's out stretched glove. Osorio is as acurate as they come, and I've seen her drilled in the ribs by a line drive. I'm calling BS on the myth that these pitchers put it where they want, when they want 100% of the time.

2. I've watched the Plate umpires this year squeeze the strike zone, ala Kristen Stewart of Oklahoma. She lived on the river last year and can't last 2 innings this year. Pitchers are told to attack the hitters, not give up free bases, then get squeezed by a plate umpire and be forced to come over the white part of the plate. Look at some of the scores of these games, for the most part, they aren't 1-0, 2-1 pitchers duals.

3. I look at Finucan's pitch and I see the catcher gliding to the outside part of the plate. If I had one of these plates

412k%2BXHoQ6L._SY355_.jpg

... IMO, I'd say she ball was headed over the green.

My DD throws her fair share of fatties. :) I think you would have a different perspective if you saw it from directly behind her, or from the backstop. Given the hitters position in the box and where it impacted on the bat I think it was red or yellow at best.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC, just a curiosity question .... in the video on post #41, there are two players near what would be the CF position. What is going on there? Is the team playing with 10 players on defense, or is RF vacated so as to have two players near CF?

Not wanting to get into one of your interrogations.... I'm not answering, until you answer my Question : how much faster do you think the UCLA hitter was than the one my DD handled ???

JK... :cool: Yes roaming fielder.... acting on a signal to a scouting report that put her correctly placed. Not to get off the subject, but you might of already noticed, players don't congratulate DD, by Plan... DD comes into to set them down 123, 123 ASAP. Then everybody gets to have fun.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I think you would have a different perspective if you saw it from directly behind her, or from the backstop. Given the hitters position in the box and where it impacted on the bat I think it was red or yellow at best.

In front...or in back.... FFS where at on the bat is the hit... Do you think batter has a good swing?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Out of curiosity, who will the lawsuit be filed against?

Players sign a disclosure form in which they acknowledge the risks. Bats are supposedly certified to be within compliance and testing is performed prior to the tournament to confirm conformance. Masks are available if a player so chooses to wear one.

This isn't the first occurrence. There have been prior incidents ... orbital floor blowout where the floor of the eye socket that holds the eye in place is blown out ... fractured bones ... etc..

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
PC- I am having a hard time distilling your posts. are you saying that Finucane is just improperly trained to field a come backer and this particular one was not really well struck so it should have been caught?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
There are so many things wrong here that I find it hard to believe that you would consider this training for hitting, let alone fielding what we see here.

finucane_zpsxdwdn95h.gif

But I love your daughter's comment towards the end .... "that was too fast" .... and your answer of "all right". Sounds like great training.

FFS... I'm lookin for the video of me hitting it to her.... this video is just to show you a Zip Line. I never really posted too much about it, because it was poopooed on DFP.

Yep.... I never brought that mean pitcher back to work with us again.... That was the first strike against her confidence. Her Mommy was (is) a meanie...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think it could have been caught. However, it wasn't which renders the training aspect of the discussion moot. Just as the comments about "I bet she was wearing a mask". I am sure she wishes when would have been at the beach or the mall instead of getting drilled and taking a bus to the hospital.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not wanting to get into one of your interrogations.... I'm not answering, until you answer my Question : how much faster do you think the UCLA hitter was than the one my DD handled ???

JK... :cool: Yes roaming fielder.... acting on a signal to a scouting report that put her correctly placed. Not to get off the subject, but you might of already noticed, players don't congratulate DD, by Plan... DD comes into to set them down 123, 123 ASAP. Then everybody gets to have fun.

There are multiple things in your video that give a hint of rec-ball. Not that there is anything wrong with that ... but it doesn't seem to be anything like the UCLA game that we have been discussing.

To answer your question ... the comeback to your daughter looked fairly routine, and IMO it was considerably slower than what was the case in the UCLA game we are discussing. I don't have an exact speed difference ... but will answer with the comeback to your daughter was "considerably slower".

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Out of curiosity, who will the lawsuit be filed against?

Players sign a disclosure form in which they acknowledge the risks. Bats are supposedly certified to be within compliance and testing is performed prior to the tournament to confirm conformance. Masks are available if a player so chooses to wear one.

This isn't the first occurrence. There have been prior incidents ... orbital floor blowout where the floor of they eye socket that holds your eye in place is blown out ... fractured bones ... etc..

the NCAA, the specific school, the conference, the bat manufacturer, the umpire, the people in the stands.

If you can make a case for negligence, anything a player signed is basically worthless. And everyone from bat manufacturers to the NCAA and everyone in between can be named.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid