Mizzou vs UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
image.jpg
Pretty sure this off the shelf schutt face mask would have helped tremendously in this situation. But we are both speculating, from a different perspective non the less.

Sorry for being off topic.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Good article. The coach comes off as being gracious in defeat.

“I’m proud of my team for fighting — it’s an earmark of our program,” Missouri head coach Ehren Earleywine said. “We didn’t pitch our best when we needed our best and give credit to UCLA. They were just better.”

Feb 14, 2010
Can't tell you how many times I've seen a ball smoked and barely miss a pitcher or corners head and they don't react till its past them and that's D1 recruits. I've been told I'm a hard rear but if my DD pitched or played 3B she would wear one.

FFS,

You hit the nailin he head regarding bats. This situation with Tori is why baseball went to BBCOR bats. Kids were getting killed because of hot bats. IMO the extremely tight zone isn't helping matters either

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Crankermo, I was throwing front-toss to a baseball player this weekend that was hitting with his girlfriend ... he was borrowing his girlfriend's composite FP bat (Demarini -8). The bombs he was hitting were downright life threatening. Granted, this is a guy that will be going into the marines shortly, but it is a taste of what can be done by a HS age kid.

You hear of 12U players going yard ..... just imagine what several years of dedicated effort can do on top of that.

In all sincerity ... I'd be fine with the girls being required to swing wood. Stop subsidizing inferior swing mechanics with what is essentially a high-tech weapon.

Feb 7, 2013
IMO the video strengthens the idea that proper training can prevent serious injury. I hate to see anyone get hurt, but the video appears she flinched while bringing her glove up. It also appears she turns her head before the ball arrives. If so, it would have either missed the mask or pushed it aside without absorbing the impact.

I hope she's ok, but this doesn't change my thoughts that masks should be optional and mandating them is misguided until they have safety standards. A larger, stronger and tighter fitting mask may have prevented her injury. The masks on the market today would have done little to no good if indeed she was hit in the side of the head.

Irresponsible post. Her injuries were right above her eye, cheekbone, and her nose was bleeding. Most masks like the Rip-it face mask would have prevented most if not all of her injuries and she certainly wouldn't have been taking a trip to the ER. To say otherwise, is completely incorrect.

You may not want mandatory masks which fine but to say that she would have sustained the same injuries while wearing a face mask is just false and very misleading.

Jan 23, 2014
You hear of 12U players going yard ..... just imagine what several years of dedicated effort can do on top of that.

In all sincerity ... I'd be fine with the girls being required to swing wood. Stop subsidizing inferior swing mechanics with what is essentially a high-tech weapon.
My 10u dd has hit 2 legit home runs this year. The bat she was using didn't have the correct stamp for u trip so she borrowed a teammates CF7 and hit 2 in the tournament after not getting close to the fence before. She is a solid hitter and can hit a legit double fairly often. But she stepped up to a plate with a bat she had never used before and cleared the fence twice. That's ridiculous. And terrifying to me, as she is a pitcher. You'll never tell me it's not the bats.

Nov 18, 2013
Irresponsible post. Her injuries were right above her eye, cheekbone, and her nose was bleeding. Most masks like the Rip-it face mask would have prevented most if not all of her injuries and she certainly wouldn't have been taking a trip to the ER. To say otherwise, is completely incorrect.

You may not want mandatory masks which fine but to say that she would have sustained the same injuries while wearing a face mask is just false and very misleading.

It's not that in the least misleading. If it hit her in the side of the head as it appears may have happened the masks on the market would do little good. What's misleading is for people to say "if only she was wearing a mask this wouldn't have happened".

I'm in no way against masks. I just think it's silly for people to want them mandated when they aren't designed to prevent catastrophic injury and there's no safety standards to assure they'll all work as expected.

IMO the video strengthens the idea that proper training can prevent serious injury. I hate to see anyone get hurt, but the video appears she flinched while bringing her glove up. It also appears she turns her head before the ball arrives. If so, it would have either missed the mask or pushed it aside without absorbing the impact.

I hope she's ok, but this doesn't change my thoughts that masks should be optional and mandating them is misguided until they have safety standards. A larger, stronger and tighter fitting mask may have prevented her injury. The masks on the market today would have done little to no good if indeed she was hit in the side of the head.
I agree totally with her turning her head to the side like she did out of pure reaction which is completely normal, the mask probably wouldn't of helped much if any in this situation. personally though im for masks. DD took a couple line drives this weekend none to the face and she reacted to both but IMO if you pitch its going to happen its when is the ?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
First of all.... I'm Sick about this tragedy :( DD studies Her.....> DD's 1st ComeBacker 5-24-2015

STK_CB.gif

2015-05-25_8-59-28.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA