Mask Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
My DD is the only kid on her team who wears a mask . She is a Freshman playing 3rd on her HS Varsity team as well as catching occasionally . The Coach challenged her in winter workouts about the mask , challenged her about not throwing her helmet when catching and challenged her about holding her hand behind the glove ala NECC catching videos . I told her to tell her coach that her parents make her wear the mask and when one of the AC's told me they were going to "Break her of her bad catching habits" I asked that they please not as we have spent the last 3 years getting her to where she is at catching .

They made me sign a waiver saying I understand that SB is a dangerous sport where she could be hurt or even killed and I would not hold them liable so it seems only fair that she is protected in a manner that I deem prudent , not what the coach feels like .

The reality of the situation is this , your DD is a gift from you to the coach . You have seen fit to support her in a manner to where she excels at softball . You have spent thousands of hours and more than likely thousands of dollars getting her to a level where she can compete . When someone loans me an expensive , irreplaceable , invaluable tool I try to return it in better condition than I borrowed it and if I am given a few rules on the handling of said tool I should do my best to follow them .

That's just my .02 .

Mar 4, 2014
My 8th grade DD has strict instructions - NO MASK = NO PLAY when pitching. She is the back-up pitcher on the JV team and her roll as the back up pitcher is to throw strikes. She isnt going out there fooling anyone, so I want her protected.

When she plays first I have no problem with her playing without it

Feb 22, 2013
My DD is the only kid on her team who wears a mask . She is a Freshman playing 3rd on her HS Varsity team as well as catching occasionally . The Coach challenged her in winter workouts about the mask

I think it is great that your daughter is being proactive about her personal safety and wearing a mask.

Today is opening day for Major League Baseball. More than 20% of the Major League batters are going to wear some type of personal protective guards while batting. You will see metatarsal guards, shin guards(inner leg) and elbow guards to name a few of the guards that are being worn by professionals. If her high school coach was a baseball coach for MLB, would he challenge these guys to hit without their guards? I would guess that he wouldn't, but maybe I am wrong and he would tell these guys to toughen up.

Softball and baseball are changing. More players are wearing guards than ever before. Whether it is a mask to protect from facial injury or an evo-shield elbow guard to protect against a chipped elbow, the concepts are the same, baseball and softball players have a choice to increase their safety and decrease their exposure(s).

I attended a Mountain West Softball game with my dd this last weekend, approximately 40% of the girls batting on both teams were wearing the elbow guards. We watched a right handed batter with an elbow guard take a ball off of her elbow guard, as she was hit by the pitch. My dd looked at me and said, "Dad, on the way home can we stop at Dick's and buy an elbow guard?"

I took my dd to a Mountain West Softball game. There was no charge to get into the game. The only thing it cost me was a steak dinner and an elbow guard. Softball players are choosing to change the game one guard at a time.

Aug 24, 2011
Idiot. Just another person using their commentator status to climb on a soapbox. The sad part is, some people listen to this garbage and because it's her, will actually believe her and think they should follow what she says.

I am am proponent of masks but many college coaches are not and will not recruit girls that wear masks. I think it's absurd but it's fact. I do, however, think this will change as more and more younger girls are wearing masks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12